International Medical Tourism Job? Would you take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the rise of medical tourism, a few enterprising folks in Caribbean nations are looking to gain the leg up on the US/Canadian markets.

Here is the scenario:

1. Medically advanced hospital (hospital looks like a resort, but the technology is sound)

2. Limited malpractice laws in host conuntry. Malpractice award rates are capped.

3. VERY, VERY low malpractice insurance

4. 1:3 Nurse patient ratios

5. 40 hour work weeks with no call.

6. Low cost land for building houses and mortgages interest at 3-4%.

7. No income tax. No real estate tax.

8. Democratic government with no history of political violence. Former Britich colony. Very friendly to American tourist with a long history of American and Canadian vistors/residents.

9. English-speaking populace. Less than one hour flight to US mainland.

The pay would not be what you are used to in the US ($40-$50K) but there would be opportunities for profit sharing and bonuses.

Would you leave the US and take the job?

Check out this link.

This is NOT the hospital, but it would be modeled after this one.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/Overseas-Medical-Care/Bumrungrad-International.aspx

I know this is stil very vague and their are many variable folks would need to consider, but thanks in advance for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

As a freshly minted doc with big idealistic dreams and a growing family? No.

35 years after residency, once the kids are grown and I'm gonna scream if I get one more homeless guy threatening to sue me if I don't give him pain pills on demand? Hells yeah! :D

The pay would not be what you are used to in the US ($40-$50K) but there would be opportunities for profit sharing and bonuses.
For folks who are taking out $150K in loans for their medical education, you'd want a lot more than a $50K base, regardless of perks.

Also, these offshore hospitals that have been successful (in Thailand and such) have been successful by mostly using native doctors. They rave about their number of ivy grads and whatnot, but they are almost always Thai doctors who trained in the U.S. and went back home. Not a lot of American doctors who relocated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I REALLY HOPE I do not get flamed, my request is completely non commercial for myself. I am the founder of Planet Hospital, the largest player in the medical tourism space and I can tell you that there are a lot of overseas hospitals that would love to hire American grads to help them with medical tourism. I AM NOT a recruiter but given that I deal with these hospitals on a daily basis it will be a pleasure for me to point you in the right direction. Now for the commercial message -- I too am looking to hire some recent grads, is there a place on this post where I can do so?

actually not quite true. Singapore has hired a lot of US doctors, and there are hospitals in Panama, El Salvador, and Mexico also willing to hire Americans.