International PharmD student-H1 visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asasimo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , I will be a P1 this Fall. I am an international student on a student
(F-1) visa. Does anyone know how difficult it is for pharmD graduates to switch to working (H1) visa after the one year OPT is over? Are we limited by the H1 cap or does pharmD get a special qouta?

Also, has anyone tried switching from F-1 to H-1 while attending school based on a pharmacy intern job?

If anyone has passed through this experience , any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer, but some suggestions.
I think your pharm school or international student services in your university would be the best and most accurate place to check. Also you can find lawyers that do free consultations over the phone who can help answer your questions.

Good luck Simo :)

Does anyone know how difficult it is for pharmD graduates to switch to working (H1) visa after the one year OPT is over?
Since you want the company to sponsor your H1 they would expect you to work in remote area or not so hot area. Like in S California Los Angles, Orange County and San Diego are considered hot and you dont stand a chance to get sponsorship in these areas. Else all retail pharmacies process the H1 easily.

Are we limited by the H1 cap or does pharmD get a special qouta?
Yes the Cap applies to Pharm D but we can file in the 20000 advanced degree quota (not sure on the advanced degree stuff - so confirm with any retail pharmacy hiring manager).

Also, has anyone tried switching from F-1 to H-1 while attending school based on a pharmacy intern job?
Most of the schools prefer that you be on F1 and not on H1. But to work as an intern in chain pharmacy they have CPT option while you are still studying in the school. This is followed by OPT and then H1!

PRK

Does anyone know how difficult it is for pharmD graduates to switch to working (H1) visa after the one year OPT is over?
Since you want the company to sponsor your H1 they would expect you to work in remote area or not so hot area. Like in S California Los Angles, Orange County and San Diego are considered hot and you dont stand a chance to get sponsorship in these areas. Else all retail pharmacies process the H1 easily.

Are we limited by the H1 cap or does pharmD get a special qouta?
Yes the Cap applies to Pharm D but we can file in the 20000 advanced degree quota (not sure on the advanced degree stuff - so confirm with any retail pharmacy hiring manager).

Most of the schools prefer that you be on F1 and not on H1. But to work as an intern in chain pharmacy they have CPT option while you are still studying in the school. This is followed by OPT and then H1!

PRK

Thank you PRK and norafena for the info.