International Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffron

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some time off this semester and was wanting to go to europe/asia and volunteer in a clinic somewhere for a month. Has anyone done this and know of any international rotation opportunities? I'm not concerned about getting paid, but it would be nice if they covered airfare/living expenses, at least partially. I'm open to different geog. locations and type of work, as long as its EM/healthcare related...I'm also looking for something that's not religiously affiliated.

I checked out like Doctors without borders, etc. but i think they require you to have an MD already (which i wont have until june :p ). any suggestions? anybody with personal experiences? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

maybe check with the international section of ACEP.

There are a lot of international opportunities out there for medical students. I can't think of any that pay for your airfare and living expenses though.

If you can narrow down where you want to go, it will be easier. Europe/Asia is a large space... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
turtle said:
There are a lot of international opportunities out there for medical students. I can't think of any that pay for your airfare and living expenses though.

If you can narrow down where you want to go, it will be easier. Europe/Asia is a large space... :)

i dont really have a preference, and i thought i should be open since i need something on short notice...do you know of any specific programs turtle? you would think it would be easy to find, but ive searched and... nothing :(

The one I did in Europe was in Sweden, and was partially set up by my mother-in-law. I just worked with one of her friends who works at a little clinic.

The Asia one was in India, and it took a long good while to set up. They are very beaurocratic and want several forms, etc. and then a work visa, etc... It was a lot of fun, working at a government hospital for some orthopods, but you may be time deficient for all the paperwork involved. However, the program I went through for Mexico also has a few programs in India. I don't know what they involve, but the progam in Mexico wasn't worth the $$$. It was a good set-up, but I could have done it as well or better for less money. But they may be a quick (although pricey) way to get to Asia, if you need something official. (If you want, pm me and I'll give you the website; I don't want to publically bad-mouth them by name. :cool: )

If you don't need credit, then you may be able to pick a place, find a local clinic, and try to contact them directly (or just show up and volunteer - I did this once, for a couple days, but really just to get a free place to stay). This would probably work better in undeveloped countries - of which, Asia has a few more than Europe :). Many clinics are run my English speakers, but it would help if you spoke the local lingo.

Hope this helps. If you need help with Mexico, Central or South America, let me know. I have more info on those.

thanks turtle...wow sounds like youve traveled alot. im looking into some stuff right now and will let you know if i need more info on mexico/south america programs... :)