International schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I certainly have learned a lot from this forum about my so-called qualifications as I read everyone else's. So, I figure, I'll take all this new knowledge and apply it to thinking about next year!

So, my questions are about international schools, none of which I applied to this year. Which ones are the "best"? Are there any to avoid? And does a degree from an international school not bode as well for opportunities after school? My vet works with one who went to Univ. of PEI and she told me that she doesn't think much of international schools.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the school. The first thing that I would look for is AVMA accreditation. If it meets the AVMA standards, not only do you get to skip out on all the extra tests (woo hoo!) but you can be sure that you are getting the level of education needed to work in the States.
Something else to look at are admission standards. A school that only requires a 2.5 probably isn't the best place to go. Are LORs requiered? How much experience do they want? etc. :)

i'll echo the bit about avma accreditation - really makes life easier. but if you're keen, the PAVE program can make life a bit easier if you don't go to an avma school.

there are so many things that play into a decision about where to go. accreditation is only one. finances, location and proximity to family, research and hands-on opportunities, etc. weigh them all.

imho, it behooves us to pick a place that we'll enjoy. vet school is a huge sacrifice, but you may not need to sacrifice everything.

cheers!

It all depends on the school. The first thing that I would look for is AVMA accreditation. If it meets the AVMA standards, not only do you get to skip out on all the extra tests (woo hoo!) but you can be sure that you are getting the level of education needed to work in the States.
Something else to look at are admission standards. A school that only requires a 2.5 probably isn't the best place to go. Are LORs requiered? How much experience do they want? etc. :)

Well, I certainly have learned a lot from this forum about my so-called qualifications as I read everyone else's. So, I figure, I'll take all this new knowledge and apply it to thinking about next year!

So, my questions are about international schools, none of which I applied to this year. Which ones are the "best"? Are there any to avoid? And does a degree from an international school not bode as well for opportunities after school? My vet works with one who went to Univ. of PEI and she told me that she doesn't think much of international schools.

What do you all think?

I think you can't go wrong with an AVMA-accredited school. The education is to the same standard as the US schools. You might even look into some of the non-AVMA-accredited schools like Dublin and Bristol.

The vet schools in Australasia have only been AVMA-accredited for a couple of years, so you may be a bit of an unknown to potential employers, but there is such a strong demand for vets that I don't really foresee any problems. Plus, Australian and Kiwi vets have been coming over to US schools to teach for a while now, so they do seem to be perceived as being at the same level as other academics.

I suppose there are a few caveats. The US dollar is in the toilet, so foreign schools are going to be more expensive than they have been in the past. Also, the amount that clients are willing to spend on their pets differs -- in New Zealand, it is generally a bit lower, so you may not to get to see as much treatment that includes all the bells and whistles. And you'll have to deal with cultural differences -- not too huge, if you go to schools in the Commonwealth, but they are there.

That said, what other time will you have to spend a significant time in another part of the world? It is a really cool experience, and if you have the money, you can visit all sorts of places that you never imagined -- like Tonga and other South Pacific islands, and obscure parts of Asia, Australia, etc. I would have never imagined I'd have the opportunity to learn Maori or the chance to use it!