International student applying to a DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPORTPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have graduated from Queen Margaret University (Scotland) with a BSc [Hons] in Physiotherapy. I am a licensed Physical Therapist in the UK. Since I am interested in working in New York as a Physical Therapist I want to receive the DPT degree. I am interested in applying for Stony Brook University DPT entry level program. From what I have read in order to apply to a DPT program you need take some prerequisites courses. My question is, since I have already completed some of the required courses during my BSc education (e.g. Psychology, Muskuloskeletal anatomy, Physiology, Algebra, Maths), do I still need to retake those courses?

Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the BSc degree comparable to the US's BS/BA (four-year degree) degrees? If so then everyone applying to a DPT has a four-year degree and you will need to complete any prerequisites that you did not complete in your program already, it looks like you have done your A/P classes and math classes but have you taken Chemistry 1/2 and Physics 1/2?. If you are interested in Stony Brook I would contact then directly, maybe you have a unique case or maybe some of the classes you have taken will be equivalent to a prerequisite already.

Yes it was a 4 year degree equivalent to a US's BS/BA (four-year degree). Thanks for your help. I hope I do not need to retake those classes that I have already passed. I will contact them. No I have only done physics and Chemistry during high school...

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I'd post in the general PT boards (rather than this pre-PT one); they'd probably know more about this than most of the people frequenting this forum. Since you're international and already licensed, you're not required to have a DPT in order to work in NYC, and you may be eligible to do a tDPT program instead. If you do do wind up doing an entry level program, if you competed those courses within in the last five years, you almost definitely do not need to retake them. If it's been longer, call the school and see if you can get special consideration given your situation/status.

As another option, have you looked at going to Robert Gordon U in Aberdeen? They're a US accredited institution granting a MSc in Physiotherapy and also have an agreement with NAU so that you can apply to compete your DPT there in just an additional year or so.

Ok I will post it also on the PT forum. Thanks everybody for the help.