International student applying to a DPT program

Started by SPORTPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPORTPT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi to all,
I have graduated from Queen Margaret University (Scotland) with a BSc [Hons] in Physiotherapy. I am a licensed Physical Therapist in the UK. Since I am interested in working in New York as a Physical Therapist I want to receive the DPT degree. I am interested in applying for Stony Brook University DPT entry level program. From what I have read in order to apply to a DPT program you need take some prerequisites courses. My question is, since I have already completed some of the required courses during my BSc education (e.g. Psychology, Muskuloskeletal anatomy, Physiology, Algebra, Maths), do I still need to retake those courses?

Please let me know.
 
Each program handles international credits differently, so you'll need to contact Stony Brook directly to ask. I've heard of PT students who had to retake prerequisite courses that they took internationally because the school did not accept any international credits.

Do you know about NYU's transitional DPT program for internationally licensed PTs? You would be able to earn a DPT faster than joining a full entry level program.
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/pt/dpt/pt