caremkn

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding AADSAS application. I was an international student from Vietnam 5 years ago with little English. Thus, I heavily faced language barrier and culture shock. In addition to that, I lived by my self thus I experienced home sick and lack of emotional support. Anyway, is my situation considered disadvantage background???

drstyller

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding AADSAS application. I was an international student from Vietnam 5 years ago with little English. Thus, I heavily faced language barrier and culture shock. In addition to that, I lived by my self thus I experienced home sick and lack of emotional support. Anyway, is my situation considered disadvantage background???

I would say no.

I'm an international student as well and what you mentioned is what all of just go through. What's more important is overcoming the barrier, not using it as an excuse.

Just try harder!!:)

alexa13us

Dintzishor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I would say no.

I'm an international student as well and what you mentioned is what all of just go through. What's more important is overcoming the barrier, not using it as an excuse.

Just try harder!!:)
i agree with you...that's pretty much what you have to go through as an international...you don't know anything and anyone...i'm proud i went through that and want to be given an equal chance without being considered disadvantaged...

CanalRooting

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
Status
Dental Student
America is a land of opportunity, where you always get a chance pursuing your dream. Cheer up, buddy! You can sure make it!

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Sounds like you are interested in re living your past emotions.

AtkinDent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Try IUPUI. The ADCOM there has a soft sport for well traveled students.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Hi everybody,

Sorry dude! You're not the only student who faces these conditions. Did you go through lots of hardship? Definitely!! Are you considered disadvantage? Not by any means. You wanna see disadvantage, visit South Central!
Language barriers (which you really need to work on if you plan on getting into dental school), culture shock, and lack of emotional support are all results of the decision you made to come to the United States; whereas, being born into a super poor family is a condition the individual has no control over it, which in turn makes him/her disadvantage.