(International student) Would love opinions on school list/stats, and options (3.76/518)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RenegadeDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Potential Summer 2020 applicant here (depending on how the world is this summer anyway!) I would love some opinions on my stats and list of schools, especially as an international student - I did undergraduate degree and prereqs here in the United States - and someone a few years out of college that has just become pre-med (again) recently.

GPA: 3.76 (Ivy - one of HYP, if that matters), Neuro major
sGPA: 3.69
MCAT: 518
Background: Western European, non-URM (but LGBTQ+, as it matters to some of the schools I'm considering applying to)
Residence: Non-US citizen (no green card either - F1 visa)
Clinical: 150+ hours (will be beefed up) hospital volunteer, 30 hours shadowing, 2 semesters of campus health outreach
Research: 1.5 years of undergrad (name on abstract), 2 years post-undergrad as an RA at a top university on systems neuroscience research(1 pending co-authorship on paper, 1 first author on abstract, third author on a paper)
Other ECs: International student mentor, Senior RA in college, LGBTQ+ charity (coordinator), Soccer player
Other info: Low-income student, so cannot do the whole "paying for four years upfront" gig

Potential Schools (It is a little top-ish heavy, but I am limited in my options as an international)

Dartmouth
Northwestern/Feinberg
Emory
BU
Case Western
Duke
Yale
Vanderbilt
UChicago
Wash U (uncertain)
Brown
Georgetown
U of Kentucky

Any help at all would be so appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately the non-US status is going to be a challenge. Any advice from your prehealth advisor?
Nothing overly helpful, premed advisors don't understand the international struggle with this too well. She only told me that previous internationals matriculated with 'similar' stats to my own from my undergrad institution and not to feel too discouraged by it/apply to schools that are intl friendly. I think she has a bloated/somewhat incorrect view of the importance of my school's reputation on med school admissions, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing overly helpful, premed advisors don't understand the international struggle with this too well. She only told me that previous internationals matriculated with 'similar' stats to my own from my undergrad institution and not to feel too discouraged by it/apply to schools that are intl friendly. I think she has a bloated/somewhat incorrect view of the importance of my school's reputation on med school admissions, however.
I don't know how experienced your advisor happens to be, but if other internationals have matriculated with similar stats, there should be a list of schools where they attended and possibly contact information so you can follow up for their advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know how experienced your advisor happens to be, but if other internationals have matriculated with similar stats, there should be a list of schools where they attended and possibly contact information so you can follow up for their advice.
I will try! She was trying to be vague about it, but it can't hurt to ask - thank you!

Just out of curiosity, how is the list against my stats for a non-intl applicant. Some schools on there note something along the lines of "we evaluate candidates regardless of their citizenship or status" etc.

I think you have a pretty strong app but, as an international student, you need to broaden your school list by a large amount.

In my general experience reviewing applications, most applicants have the same range of experience hours with shadowing/clinical and extracurricular/volunteering regardless of their background. I don't know what "campus health outreach" is to know if your categorization is proper as clinical or non-clinical volunteering. Shadowing seems a little light but not too much; you may need more primary care exposure. Again just my impressions.

Well, I'm going to be brutally honest here. Both stats-wise and ECs-wise, and your clinical hour and shadowing are not good enough. Research is just okay for average matriculated international students which means you can't use that to compensate for other weaknesses.
I'm an international student myself and trust me, I want you to get into medical school than anyone else. Being an international student is a freaking uphill battle and we for sure would all get accepted if we are U.S citizens. But we aren't. So realistically, your app is weak, and I don't think you have good chance for this year. I suggest you should apply next year and strengthen it. Ivy in undergrad is impressive and that won't help much if your gpa is 3.6-3.7

However, I will be more than happy if you prove me wrong. Best of luck mate!
Looking for update from you:))

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the previous post.
I think your stat is strong (3.76 from Ivy, 518 MCAT is killer). The only thing I would suggest is to do more volunteering work? I didn't see volunteering hours in your previous post. I think if you have a compelling personal statement and apply broadly (around 20 schools), you have a great chance of getting in.
Other schools that have accepted international students in the past that I know of are:
Saint Louis
Sidney Kimmel
U of Illinois
I'm sure there are more than 40 schools in the US saying they are accepting international students, you just need to look it up on MSAR. I'm cheering for you!

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the previous post.
I think your stat is strong (3.76 from Ivy, 518 MCAT is killer). The only thing I would suggest is to do more volunteering work? I didn't see volunteering hours in your previous post. I think if you have a compelling personal statement and apply broadly (around 20 schools), you have a great chance of getting in.
Other schools that have accepted international students in the past that I know of are:
Saint Louis
Sidney Kimmel
U of Illinois
I'm sure there are more than 40 schools in the US saying they are accepting international students, you just need to look it up on MSAR. I'm cheering for you!

It varies year to year on the number of schools that accept applications from internationals. In past years, it was definitely more than 40, but unfortunately, now I think it’s around that number. That’s the number of schools that claim to accept applications from internationals, but for some schools, historical precedent shows that these schools have matriculated 0 international students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk