• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

international student

touchfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
    GabonpharmD said:
    i'am an international student from Gabon.
    any international student here to share experiences and expectations?
    i have an interview with utmem next thursday. I read that they do not have international student..anybody has an insight on this?

I am an international student, too!

I asked the associate dean at UIC Pharmacy school why there were only a few international applicants they accepted last year. His response was...there were not that many international students applying to pharmacy school! If you take a look at the enrollment stats, there are a few schools that have more international students such as Arizona and Houston.

One advice I would give you is to tell them that you can make their student body more diverse or if anything in your home country or community that has influenced your decision to become a pharmacist ...I think this is something special about international students!

Good luck w/ your interview!

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Jan 31, 2005
    King's Landing
    1. Pharmacist
      thank you for the good advice...

touchfish said:
      I am an international student, too!

I asked the associate dean at UIC Pharmacy school why there were only a few international applicants they accepted last year. His response was...there were not that many international students applying to pharmacy school! If you take a look at the enrollment stats, there are a few schools that have more international students such as Arizona and Houston.

One advice I would give you is to tell them that you can make their student body more diverse or if anything in your home country or community that has influenced your decision to become a pharmacist ...I think this is something special about international students!

Good luck w/ your interview!

About the Ads

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Jan 31, 2005
      King's Landing
      1. Pharmacist
        My interview tour at ut memphis was yesterday from 8 to 2 pm...this morning at 8am while i was packing my stuff with my familly (i went to my interview tour with my fiance and my 2 weeks son..) and getting ready to come back to florida i receive a call!!!!!!i got accepted..what a great feeling..end of the pre requisite and pcat now the real game can begin for me this august!!!!

i'am going to apply to their pharmD / phD program...one last test for me..the GRE.
        The tour was great, the school is impressive....

good luck to those waiting an acceptance call...i wish you all the best.

touchfish

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jan 4, 2005
          GabonpharmD said:
          My interview tour at ut memphis was yesterday from 8 to 2 pm...this morning at 8am while i was packing my stuff with my familly (i went to my interview tour with my fiance and my 2 weeks son..) and getting ready to come back to florida i receive a call!!!!!!i got accepted..what a great feeling..end of the pre requisite and pcat now the real game can begin for me this august!!!!

i'am going to apply to their pharmD / phD program...one last test for me..the GRE.

Congratulation!!!
          Good luck w/ GRE :thumbup:

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 28, 2004
          WPB, FL
            International student here. I didn't apply to UIC because I thought that they have so many requirements for international students in terms of financial. This school wants to make sure that you are capable of supporting your pharmacy education in UIC by filling out affidavit of support of anyone who support you. Gotta fill out the form and have the notary signed it or people from immigration or embassy or whatever. Hhmm.... just a lot of work to do :( + the REAL money must be ready for the tuition.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
            Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Jan 31, 2005
            King's Landing
            1. Pharmacist
              angelil_yu said:
              International student here. I didn't apply to UIC because I thought that they have so many requirements for international students in terms of financial. This school wants to make sure that you are capable of supporting your pharmacy education in UIC by filling out affidavit of support of anyone who support you. Gotta fill out the form and have the notary signed it or people from immigration or embassy or whatever. Hhmm.... just a lot of work to do :( + the REAL money must be ready for the tuition.

Yes many schools have a lot requirement in terms of finances for international student..but let me tell you something i haven't wrote in my first post...Apply first if you have all the pre requisite and worry about the money later...because believe it or not i received with my acceptance call to the ut memphis an unbelievable offer:
              The tuition for out of state and international are around $18 000 a year, but they are offering me to consider me in state for tuition ( i would now pay around $7000 even if i am an international student) and in top of that good news...they are going to pay half of my tuition...
              basically i'am going thru pharmacy school just paying $3500 a year!!!!!!!
              i though that i was dreaming, i still think that is a dream..that i am going to wake up...
              so the moral here, is that the international office of the school make it seem like the end the world..but you never know what kind of offer you can get with your admission...
              i am not saying this kind of offer happen everyday..i am telling my story just to let international students know..that they never know, apply first and then see if the acceptation is coming with some other good news...or even call to talk about a Deal about your tuition before accepting the offer.

Good luck.

touchfish

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 4, 2005
                GabonpharmD said:
                Yes many schools have a lot requirement in terms of finances for international student..but let me tell you something i haven't wrote in my first post...Apply first if you have all the pre requisite and worry about the money later...because believe it or not i received with my acceptance call to the ut memphis an unbelievable offer:
                The tuition for out of state and international are around $18 000 a year, but they are offering me to consider me in state for tuition ( i would now pay around $7000 even if i am an international student) and in top of that good news...they are going to pay half of my tuition...
                i though that i was dreaming, i still think that is a dream..that i am going to wake up...
                so the moral here, is that the international office of the school make it seem like the end the world..but you never know what kind of offer you can get with your admission...
                i am not saying this kind of offer happen everyday..i am telling my story just to let international students know..that they never know, apply first and then see if the acceptation is coming with some other good news...or even call to talk about a Deal about your tuition before accepting the offer.

Good luck.

wow...this is the first time i heard that pharmacy school let international student pay the in-state tuition... congratulations! did they just offer you that automically? I don't know where i can apply for financial aid or scholarship tho...do any of you know where international students can get financial aid?

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Feb 28, 2004
                WPB, FL
                  GabonpharmD said:

Good luck.

Hey, congratulation for you. I am happy for you!! This my 1st time knowing that the school will allow you to pay in state tuition too. Not many schools want to do that. Btw, I was just wondering if they do that because they do not have as many international students in the particular school?

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 18, 2004
                  Squint your eyes and look closer.
                  1. Pharmacist
                    GabonpharmD said:
                    i got accepted

Congrats, GabonpharmD! :clap: I'm from Memphis originally (lived there for 21 years), so if you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me. :)

Don't forget to post your acceptance in the Roll Call thread at the top of the forum so you can be added to the list. :thumbup:

rroyali

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Jan 9, 2005
                    1. Pharmacist
                      GabonpharmD, Hey that's great. I had my interview at UT in January and got accepted, so I guess I'll see you in August. Again, Congratulations!!!
                      GabonpharmD said:

safaetx

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Aug 27, 2004
                        GabonpharmD said:

Good luck.

Congratulations! that is really awesome. I got accepted to Shenandoah University but unfortunatly they don't offer any kind of financial help for international students I have to pay the whole amount by myself :eek: .
                        Does anyone of you guys know of any organizations that give scholarships for international students? I will really appreciate it. Thank you.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
                        Lifetime Donor
                        10+ Year Member
                        Jan 31, 2005
                        King's Landing
                        1. Pharmacist
                          FutureRxGal said:
                          Congrats, GabonpharmD! :clap: I'm from Memphis originally (lived there for 21 years), so if you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me. :)

Don't forget to post your acceptance in the Roll Call thread at the top of the forum so you can be added to the list. :thumbup:

I have a lot of questions about the area..but for now i'am still waiting to know if my fiance will be accepted at UT for his phD...after that you will beg me to stop asking questions (LOL) :laugh: :D

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
                          Lifetime Donor
                          10+ Year Member
                          Jan 31, 2005
                          King's Landing
                          1. Pharmacist
                            rroyali said:
                            GabonpharmD, Hey that's great. I had my interview at UT in January and got accepted, so I guess I'll see you in August. Again, Congratulations!!!

that really nice to meet a futur classmate like that... :luck: i cannot wait t'il august!!! do you already live in the area are you like me from out of state? if no when are you planning to move there? me i don'y know yet for sure.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
                            Lifetime Donor
                            10+ Year Member
                            Jan 31, 2005
                            King's Landing
                            1. Pharmacist
                              angelil_yu said:
                              Hey, congratulation for you. I am happy for you!! This my 1st time knowing that the school will allow you to pay in state tuition too. Not many schools want to do that. Btw, I was just wondering if they do that because they do not have as many international students in the particular school?

I think that you are right, they do not have a lot of international students, because at my interview i asked if they have IS and the only one of the Dr recalled was in 3rd year....

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
                              Lifetime Donor
                              10+ Year Member
                              Jan 31, 2005
                              King's Landing
                              1. Pharmacist
                                touchfish said:
                                wow...this is the first time i heard that pharmacy school let international student pay the in-state tuition... congratulations! did they just offer you that automically? I don't know where i can apply for financial aid or scholarship tho...do any of you know where international students can get financial aid?

ThanK you..
                                Yes they offer it to me automatically...i don't know neither where to apply for financial aid for IS, me i have my government scholarship.
                                I know that chase bank as a special program of loan for pharmacy students.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
                                Lifetime Donor
                                10+ Year Member
                                Jan 31, 2005
                                King's Landing
                                1. Pharmacist
                                  FutureRxGal said:

i haven't found the << Roll Call thread at the top of the forum >> can you be more specific on where exactly to clic..i have been looking for it for the last 30 minute without success.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Mar 18, 2004
                                  Squint your eyes and look closer.
                                  1. Pharmacist
                                    About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.