International students working under CPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PyeloNaproxen

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a 4th year pharmacy student from China. I was working for publix as an intern for the past 2 years under CPT. However, recently school international office told me i cannot renew my CPT because my internship is not an integral part of my program (My pharmacy school offered enough rotations for the requirement of local board of pharmacy). I really want to know if any of you have been in the same situation before, and need some suggestion to deal with this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have reached the limit. CPT is limited to 24 months.

Last edited:
At my school, the process to apply for CPT requires an application in which you have to explain how CPT help you with your school work or aid to your pursuit of the degree ( you write a short paragraph explain what you do at work and how it help with your school courses, you can be creative there). As long as they have that, the application will be approved. You can work part time CPT throughout the duration of the study without any limitation.

This a good source of info CPT - International Student Services According to this the 24 months limit info is not correct.

Another thing too, the rotation hours you receive from your rotations don't mean much to your degree. It's more important when you apply for your state license. CPT needs to be tied to your Pharm. D degree, not how it helps you get your practice license. See if you can find a way to explain how working at your job will be beneficial to you getting your degree. I'm only on my 2nd year so I'm not sure how I can spin that. Especially since you just do rotations on 4th year, how working at community pharmacy is helpful to getting the degree at that point?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user