SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

International Students?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by GoBearsGo, Jan 7, 2002.

  1. GoBearsGo

    GoBearsGo Member 7+ Year Member

    Nov 19, 2001
    Hi everybody,
    I have a friend who is applying to medical school next year. Her stats are pretty good (35/~3.9), and she has a good record of ECs (EMT stuff, volunteer stuff, etc.). The only problem is that she is not a US citizen, which is, unfortunately, a big problem. She has, however, attended both high school and college in the US. Are there any international students out there that can share their experiences applying?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gower

    gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    There are possibilties, especially with those numbers. The fly in the ointment is that as a non-citizen/non-green card holder, the usual funding resources are not available. If her family or government can pay her way, I would be somewhat more optimistic. Another factor is the choice of medical schools to apply to. That should be discussed with her premedical advisor who has a book, available only to advisors, which gives the policies and conditions on admission of foreign students for each US medical school.

    If she is Canadian, Canadians are not considered foreign students for purposes of admission, but she will still have to come up with the money.

    If you/she can tell me the college/university she is attending and her geographic preferences for medical schools to attend, I might be able to be of more specific help.

    [email protected]
  4. blackberry

    blackberry Junior Member

    Jan 6, 2002
    I'm interested in medical school admission policy in cases when permanent resident or US citizen obtained his undergraduate education outside United States or Canada (specifically in Europe). I'm in Europe so I don't have access to premed advisors.
    Any opinion will be appreciated.

  5. Catherine

    Catherine Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Apr 7, 2000
    You would need to have foreign courses / qualifications checked and verified by either WES (New York) or ECE (Milwaukee) - costs about $200. This would show whether you had the required pre-med courses (biology, chemistry, etc).

    You would also need to take the MCAT; I think it can be taken outside of the US. You would also need several letters of recommendation.

    Your biggest problem is finding a pre-med "office" that would hold your letters of recommendation and would write a composite letter for admissions.

    But, these are all general requirements. If you say what your current situation is (high school, etc) and what your aim is then I may be able to offer you some specific advice.

    If you don't feel comfortable posting that info here then email me at [email protected]
  6. blackberry

    blackberry Junior Member

    Jan 6, 2002
    My current situation:
    I'm a student of physical therapy and I think I can satisfy all the premed requirements. But, if I come in United States I would retake those courses at some american college.
    This idea of attending an american medical school will not happen in the near future. Maybe in few years.
    Thank you for your answer. If you have any other questions, just ask.
  7. leorl

    leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Jan 2, 2001
    Just out of curiousity, if you want to become a doctor, why don't you just switch track from PT to medicine? Unless you are in your final year of earning your PT degree or want to work as a PT for awhile. Then you could earn your BChBAOBS (or MBBS) without having to retake a bunch of courses. Or actually, there are several schools (although I only know of UK schools) that offer graduate entry into medicine upon having received a health sciences degree. Unless you really want to be in the US for awhile, that route would seem less of a hassle for you.

    Should you decide that you want to come to the US to study/practice, hopefully you wouldn't have to retake your whole undergrad degree!!! Maybe just those specific premed classes...but PTs do get quite a bit of science in their training, at least as I understand it in the UK. Maybe you could just take the MCAT if your coursework is satisfactory, and not have to retake anything at all :) .
  8. musikus

    musikus Member 7+ Year Member

    Dec 18, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    hi there,

    just wanted to tell you that it is possible to go to medical school / osteopathic school as a foreign citizen. I finished undergrad on an F-1
    visa, worked with it for one year and now I have
    my H1-B visa. I applied and am interviewing.
    The schools have told me that they not only have people on H1-B visas attending, but they do
    have some students on F-1 Visas!
    So, your friend, especially with her stellar scores and extracurricular activities, should give it a try and not be discouraged.

    good luck!

Share This Page