You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
international vet schools/admissions
Started by jkq202
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey,
Is anyone else applying to the Australian schools that just got AVMA accredited this year? Thoughts? Their application process is a bit different too...anyone else going through it?
Also, I'm new to this forum so maybe there are only pre-vet students on here like me...but I wanted to know what my stats look/seem like and whether my chances of acceptance are good (if anyone has an opinion please let me know):
3.75 overrall something like 3.8 in science at New York University (bio major, math minor)
4-500 hours small animal working as a vet assistant/vet tech btwn two different clinics
130 equine at an equine hospital shadowing/helping the vets there
and will have something like 100 hours shadowing vets/working with technicians at a lab animal research facility at a medical school.
also volunteered for 2.5 yrs. at an animal shelter.
I think my grades are pretty good, haven't taken the gre's yet (in august), but feel like I am a bit lacking in experience since some of the people's posts have something in the thousands of hours whereas mine is more like a few 100. I sort of decided a little later that I wanted to be a vet, but I really want to get in my first time applying...also I am a NJ resident so there are slim pickings for schools. I am going to apply to Tufts, UPenn, and VA-MD regional and then 2-3 schools in the UK and 2 in Australia (U. Sydney and U. Melbourne). Has anyone previously been accepted to any of these schools??
thanks.
Welcome

Your stats are pretty similar to mine. You can look me up in the successful applicants c/o 2011, if you want the exact ones, but my GPA was in the 3.75 area (I think like 3.78), 800 hours small animal, 100 hours equine, 75 hours food, 100 hours exotic, and 100 wildlife, and 100 shelter. So not the 1000s of hours some have. I decided rather late in the game that I wanted to be a vet.
Anyway, I applied to 6 American schools (Auburn, UTK, The OSU, IL, Purdue, and NCSU) and was admitted to 3 of them (Auburn, UTK, and The OSU) waitlisted at NCSU, turned down an interview at Purdue, and was flat-out rejected from IL. I was a KY resident, so Auburn was my contract school. You can see that I ended up at UTK, though.
Anyway, I definitely think you have a good chance this year. I don't know much about Cornell, since I was only looking at southern and mid-western schools, but as long as you make sure to look at schools that are OOS (OOC?) friendly, I think you have a great shot.
The only thing I would caution you about international schools is the weakness of the American dollar. I think I'd just be a little worried about the expense of the tuition, room & board, etc versus how much your dollar will buy you.
Hello and welcome! Congrats on deciding to be a vet. I too, decided a bit later in life to become what I've always wanted to become. I think there are a lot of us in this same situation on this forum. My GPA was a bit lower than yours (3.33 overall) and I had years of animal/vet experience when I applied. I did not have much luck with acceptances at the US schools I applied to and only got waitlisted at one school. However, I did apply to an Australian school and I got accepted. I am now a 2nd year student at Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia. You should have no problem getting accepted to Sydney or Melbourne. Also, even though the US dollar is weak, it is still less than a one to one ratio here. Basically I pay $34,000 USD per year for tuition here, which is about the same or even less than the tuition would have cost me at the school I was waitlisted at. Furthermore, my tuition will never go up, it is fixed at that amount. There is so much more I could tell you about going to an overseas school, but it would be too long to put on this post. PM me if you'd like to ask more questions. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to apply to Tufts, UPenn, and VA-MD regional and then 2-3 schools in the UK and 2 in Australia (U. Sydney and U. Melbourne). Has anyone previously been accepted to any of these schools??
thanks.
I don't know which UK schools you're going to apply to, but I was accepted to Glasgow (and graduated from there in 2006). It was a 5 year programme for me (4 years was not an option at that time for Americans). I am in a lot of debt but managing OK my 2nd (almost 3rd) year out. I *would* be worried about the weakness of the US dollar, as someone else pointed out...it was tough to deal with increased cost even during the time period I was there. The dollar was not so weak in 2001, then in 2002 started going downhill. Therefore, tuition was much more expensive than I had expected, and everything else.
Hey,
Is anyone else applying to the Australian schools that just got AVMA accredited this year? Thoughts? Their application process is a bit different too...anyone else going through it?
Also, I'm new to this forum so maybe there are only pre-vet students on here like me...but I wanted to know what my stats look/seem like and whether my chances of acceptance are good (if anyone has an opinion please let me know):
3.75 overrall something like 3.8 in science at New York University (bio major, math minor)
4-500 hours small animal working as a vet assistant/vet tech btwn two different clinics
130 equine at an equine hospital shadowing/helping the vets there
and will have something like 100 hours shadowing vets/working with technicians at a lab animal research facility at a medical school.
also volunteered for 2.5 yrs. at an animal shelter.
I think my grades are pretty good, haven't taken the gre's yet (in august), but feel like I am abit lacking in experience since some of the people's posts have something in the thousands of hours whereas mine is more like a few 100. I sort of decided a little later that I wanted to be a vet, but I really want to get in my first time applying...also I am a NJ resident so there are slim pickings for schools. I am going to apply to Tufts, UPenn, and VA-MD regional and then 2-3 schools in the UK and 2 in Australia (U. Sydney and U. Melbourne). Has anyone previously been accepted to any of these schools??
thanks.
Now read what you wrote. Estimate how many hours per week you volunteered, multiply that by 52, then multiply your total by 2.5. I bet you have a lot more experience "hours" than you are giving yourself credit for👍
I'm not sure if it is the same for international students. For local students at Melbourne university you do not need alot of animal contact hours.
I only had about 100. I know other people in the course that haven't really had any at all.
I only had about 100. I know other people in the course that haven't really had any at all.
My son applied to vet school in Australia in late March. He has a BA in Anthropology from Florida State (3.4). He spent the last year taking Biology, Chemistry and Genetics and working at a small animal clinic. He was accepted at Syndey (firm) and Murdoch (conditional on taking Statistics) and rejected at Melbourne. He will be attending Sydney in March. 09. Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks so much for everyone's advice, it was very helpful. Yeah, what did happen to the dollar??
That's for the offtopic forums, but I believe the responsible party starts with a B and ends with an H. 🙄
Okay okay no political talk here. I am SO jealous when I see people on here deciding to go to schools in Europe and Australia. I want to do that so badly but I can't for various reasons. Everyone who is going to these schools is so lucky! 🙂
Last edited:
I'm happy to answer any questions about Sydney (where I have just 5 months til graduation! 🙂 ) But I am a local student so went through a totally different application process.
We only have 3 Americans in my year- but when I started we weren't AVMA accredited so I would imagine there's more now. We have a LOT of international and mature age students though.
Sydney is a wonderful place, too.
We only have 3 Americans in my year- but when I started we weren't AVMA accredited so I would imagine there's more now. We have a LOT of international and mature age students though.
Sydney is a wonderful place, too.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 441
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K