International Vet Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-who

UC Davis c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm currently on a waitlist for the 2023 cycle but am starting to prepare for the next round in case I don't get in. This past cycle, I didn't apply anywhere outside of the US, but I'm definitely interested in doing so this coming round. I've tried to research international vet schools, but I feel like I'm still very unfamiliar with them and would like some advice on where to apply. I'm looking at AVC/UPEI, Royal Veterinary College, and University of Edinburgh, but I'm open to anything and would love to hear about other people's experiences with international schools or thoughts. What drew you to these schools, and what do you enjoy about them? What are the main drawbacks? Is the style of learning somehow different from that in the US? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am at RVC and I kinda applied here on a whim. I had never been to Europe and I wanted to see the world. So when I got an interview it was still kind of not really expecting to come here. But I liked what they showed at the interview and when I was accepted the price was equal to a OOS US school (I don't have an IS) so I went.

I don't exactly recommend my way of going about it, but after nearly two years I do like RVC (most of the time). The exams once a year are actually my favorite part. You have to be on yourself to study, but if for example I am struggling with a topic and I spend 2 days on it instead of 1, it isn't the end of the world. I have never been to vet school in the states, but if it is like undergrad I would probably be brain-dumping half of everything I learned after the final. Here you can't do that as much because the exam is on everything at the end of the year and stuff is kind of in long term memory by then with the details fuzzy.

It is had to compare because I haven't done US vet school classes, but it sounds a lot less intense week to week here. I like that I can go off to Spain or France for a weekend and keep up in classes. Drawbacks: the immaturity of the student body (being mostly 18/19 years old), the lack of clear organization, and being so far away from home.

If you have specific questions you are welcome to message me

Reactions: 2 users
I don't go to UPEI, I'm not even in vet school yet but I did research at UPEI for one summer and I have to say, Charlottetown is honestly one of the nicest cities I have ever been to. If you're looking for NYC part 2 you won't get it there but overall, it is so peaceful and the people there are extremely nice. Not to mention I got a tour of the vet school since my advisor knew I was interested and it was really nice too. Nothing flashy, but I could see myself living there forever. I never felt out of place and always felt like I was part of a great community. It's hard to explain really but if you ever get to visit it and see for your self, I would recommend. I applied to international schools this year as well, I applied to OVC because that's where I'm from but also Usydney and Umelbourne in australia.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am currently a second year at AVC. Originally I was not planning on applying outside of the US, but I had a roommate and a coach from Canada and they suggested I give applying to there a try. I looked into them and decided to just apply to AVC (I didn't have one of the LOR requirements met for one of the others). I do not really remember what originally drew me to it besides the small class size, but after my interview I had fallen in love with it. I also got a good vibe I got from the faculty and students. I was accepted elsewhere, but I still ended up picking AVC.

I love my class. We are very close-knit and very supportive of each other- always sharing resources, study guides, lecture recordings, planning outside fun time together, etc. For the most part, the faculty is great as well... I had one professor tutor me for extra help for an hour every Friday. Many that have labs to accompany their class will hold extra review times. Attendance is not mandatory, except for labs and some tutorials, but mostly everyone goes to class regardless unless there's an exam later in the day. I find the teaching style very similar what I had as an undergad but with occasional PBL; however, I can't compare teaching styles to other vet schools. They do try to get you to have hands on experience starting second semester of your first year with clinical skills classes that you'll have throughout your pre-clinical years, and you can always hang around and help out at the teaching hospital during down time. Many clinicians also routinely hold lunch rounds in the hospital for students to attend.

As far as some drawbacks, I think one of them is slightly outdated facilities (not the hospital, but other parts of the school). There isn't much room for the school to grow, and while there are changes the faculty would love to have, there is a lack of space and money for large projects. Another I can think of off the top of my head is that lab groups for clinical skills are made up of 4-5 people, and sometimes there just is not enough time for every person to get through what needs to be done.

I am sure I could come up with more things to say for your questions, but I need to get back to studying for my last midterm. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't go to UPEI, I'm not even in vet school yet but I did research at UPEI for one summer and I have to say, Charlottetown is honestly one of the nicest cities I have ever been to. If you're looking for NYC part 2 you won't get it there but overall, it is so peaceful and the people there are extremely nice. Not to mention I got a tour of the vet school since my advisor knew I was interested and it was really nice too. Nothing flashy, but I could see myself living there forever. I never felt out of place and always felt like I was part of a great community. It's hard to explain really but if you ever get to visit it and see for your self, I would recommend. I applied to international schools this year as well, I applied to OVC because that's where I'm from but also Usydney and Umelbourne in australia.

May I ask why you chose to apply to Sydney and Melbourne? Thanks for the info on Charlottetown!

Thanks so much, everyone! Happy to hear that you're loving your schools!

May I ask why you chose to apply to Sydney and Melbourne? Thanks for the info on Charlottetown!
Honestly, with my degree and my courses they were the only ones I could apply to. That combined with them being pretty well ranked on a worldwide scale and their navle pass scores not being terrible. Guelph doesn’t require Organic Chem so silly me decided not to take it and now I’m stuck thinking well what if I don’t get into Guelph? And now I really have no option. I’m looking into taking organic Chem in the summer though! Australia is overall though just a very good place to live, albeit expensive but if you’re from the US your exchange rate is pretty good!!

Honestly, with my degree and my courses they were the only ones I could apply to. That combined with them being pretty well ranked on a worldwide scale and their navle pass scores not being terrible. Guelph doesn’t require Organic Chem so silly me decided not to take it and now I’m stuck thinking well what if I don’t get into Guelph? And now I really have no option. I’m looking into taking organic Chem in the summer though! Australia is overall though just a very good place to live, albeit expensive but if you’re from the US your exchange rate is pretty good!!

Best of luck to you!!! :)

This might be helpful for you.
I highly recommend going to each schools website and looking at their tuition. Even the VIN map isn’t perfect, especially for international schools. Exchange rates change so it is especially important to check for international schools and know the price in their currency so you can have an accurate idea of costs.

I don’t know where this graph got those numbers, but that’s not the cost for RVC at all. I think some graphs/charts use the max amount of loans you can take at a school?? But here no one takes the max—and that still wouldn’t get such a high cost for me— so look into the schools you’re interested in individually.

I highly recommend going to each schools website and looking at their tuition. Even the VIN map isn’t perfect, especially for international schools. Exchange rates change so it is especially important to check for international schools and know the price in their currency so you can have an accurate idea of costs.
The exchange rate does add a huge variable -- no one knows what the exchange rate will be next year, let alone 3 years from now! And don't forget to include interest on loans from whatever sources - it can make a huge difference.

I don’t know where this graph got those numbers, but that’s not the cost for RVC at all.
RVC international tuition for 2019/20
£35,000 converted in Canadian $62,200 multiplied by 4 years 248,800 Canadian dollars.
#
The graph uses 2017 year tuition rates
235,000 according to the graph provided.
I don’t see huge discrepancy.

RVC international tuition for 2019/20
£35,000 converted in Canadian $62,200 multiplied by 4 years 248,800 Canadian dollars.
#
The graph uses 2017 year tuition rates
235,000 according to the graph provided.
I don’t see huge discrepancy.
Sorry I did miss the Canadian dollars note, it is less inflated now that I read the table correctly.

It is nice to compare with tables, but the exchange rate especially in the UK with Brexit is so fickle I would keep that in mind for projections between other countries and the UK schools. Rates are favorable now but may go south with Brexit drama, so it is a lot to consider. It is especially annoying when you have to mess around with US loans and when they pick to lock in your rate. It also is hard to take into account tuition increases each year, they are raising ours a lot this year because they can :lame:.

information on the WCVM website was updated. They plan from 5 to 25 seats for 2020/21 , applications deadline is September 15
tuition estimate $50,000 USD annually
cost of living is pretty low in Saskatoon. $10,000 USD annually should have you covered.
90B5C931-C6A4-4BB7-8A85-53B2E6B2B4C5.jpeg