International vs US education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted704780

Does anybody here have thoughts on getting an AuD in the US or getting a Masters outside of the US? I'm a US citizen and about to complete my final year of undergrad (psychology). In the long run, I'd really like to work/live outside of the US (preferably Europe/Ireland/UK, but advice about anywhere would be appreciated!), so I'm interested in how possible this might be and how to go about this in the field of audiology.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would get your AuD in the U.S. as it is now the terminal degree in our field. I would rather have more education than needed than not have the right amount of education. You also need to remember the last masters to AuD program is closing very soon so if you get a masters in another country and want to practice in the US you will most likely be shut out of licensure in many states especially if ASHA or AAA or the licensure board of your state does not recognize your foreign masters degree. Then you would have to complete the 4 year residential AuD at a US school so you basically wasted 2 years and lots of money getting a masters degree in a foreign country.

If you intend to only work in the UK or EU, then earning a Masters in one of those countries would be sufficient to practice there. However, you will not be able to practice in the United States should you decide to come back for reasons aforementioned by TheEarDoc. You can get the AuD here in the US and then apply for jobs/externships in other countries. I've seen various postings from a few countries here and there.