neelam01

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hi!

I am interested in doing international work with my pediatric residency. Does anyone know of good programs that are high on international work, or programs that allow you to do an MPH during/after the residency program?

Thank you!

Mar 13, 2002
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hi!

I am interested in doing international work with my pediatric residency. Does anyone know of good programs that are high on international work, or programs that allow you to do an MPH during/after the residency program?

Thank you!

There are relatively few programs with specific programs in international work during residency. This is largely because, well, when you're THERE, you can't take night call, HERE. :rolleyes:. Of course, there are "no call" electives and the like, but that does limit the options in a three year residency.

http://www.med.umn.edu/peds/globalpediatrics/education/globalhealthtrack.html

is one program

http://www.uhhospitals.org/tabid/689/Default.aspx

is another.

Many programs have more limited opportunities and support some international work. You should discuss this in your initial contact with them.

Anyone who knows of additional pediatric training programs in international health is welcome to list them here.

bks524

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2007
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I know that several residents in my program did overseas trips for an elective. I was able to go to Bangladesh for a month. Many programs will allow you to do this on an elective month, but you have to ask during your interview to find out if they are open to it or not. It helps if there is someone in the department who goes on trips that can vouch for the education you will receive.

bks

About the Ads

neelam01

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Status
  1. Medical Student
thank you for all of the information:)
Any body know if you can do an elective with the CDC?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads