International work and Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neelam01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am interested in doing international work with my pediatric residency. Does anyone know of good programs that are high on international work, or programs that allow you to do an MPH during/after the residency program?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am interested in doing international work with my pediatric residency. Does anyone know of good programs that are high on international work, or programs that allow you to do an MPH during/after the residency program?

Thank you!

There are relatively few programs with specific programs in international work during residency. This is largely because, well, when you're THERE, you can't take night call, HERE. :rolleyes:. Of course, there are "no call" electives and the like, but that does limit the options in a three year residency.

http://www.med.umn.edu/peds/globalpediatrics/education/globalhealthtrack.html

is one program

http://www.uhhospitals.org/tabid/689/Default.aspx

is another.

Many programs have more limited opportunities and support some international work. You should discuss this in your initial contact with them.

Anyone who knows of additional pediatric training programs in international health is welcome to list them here.

I know that several residents in my program did overseas trips for an elective. I was able to go to Bangladesh for a month. Many programs will allow you to do this on an elective month, but you have to ask during your interview to find out if they are open to it or not. It helps if there is someone in the department who goes on trips that can vouch for the education you will receive.

bks

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for all of the information:)
Any body know if you can do an elective with the CDC?

Check them out they have international electives!