Internist in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliacus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for internist to work full-time in the ED? I know that was the case before EM became its own specialty, but how common is it today with all the EM residency trained docs out there?

Members don't see this ad.

We've got two or three at our place who are boarded in IM. There are plenty of IM people doing EM out there, particularly in the rural areas, where coverage can be difficult to obtain.

You probably won't find IM practitioners doing EM as you move closer to the more urban areas, given that EM is trying to staff most departments with EM residency-trained staff.

The days of primary care physicians staffing ED's are numbered. In fact, we are receiving a lot of applications from previously internal medicine-trained physicians who are now wanting to train in EM. Many, including a current chief resident, are reporting that they are wanting to complete an EM residency because they are finding it hard to get new jobs. The internists who have jobs now are pretty much set, except when a large corporation buys out their local group. Those that want to move to different hospitals are finding it very, very difficult to secure a position. Many hospitals will no longer credential them to staff ED's, and many malpractice insurers are giving them a lot of grief.

If you want to do EM, it would be wise to train in EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
This same topic came up the other day with some internal medicine residents and a question arose.... with an internship or more of training at a ACGME approved training program is it possible to get in as a PGY-II in EM and become board certified??

binswanger said:
with an internship or more of training at a ACGME approved training program is it possible to get in as a PGY-II in EM and become board certified??

That obviously depends on the format of the program. All folks in 2-4 programs come in as PGYIIs after an intern year, typically in medicine or surgery.

From what I understand, in a 1-3 program you can (assuming your PD wants you to) get about 6 months of credit toward your intern year for previous training.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
That obviously depends on the format of the program. All folks in 2-4 programs come in as PGYIIs after an intern year, typically in medicine or surgery.

From what I understand, in a 1-3 program you can (assuming your PD wants you to) get about 6 months of credit toward your intern year for previous training.

Take care,
Jeff

We have a former IM chief resident joining my EM intern class. He doesn't have to do his IM floor months but has to replace them with electives instead. I do not believe that he will gratuate more than 1 or 2 months early, this is after 4 years of IM.

Dr.Evil1 said:
We have a former IM chief resident joining my EM intern class. He doesn't have to do his IM floor months but has to replace them with electives instead. I do not believe that he will gratuate more than 1 or 2 months early, this is after 4 years of IM.

Like I said, I think it is at the option of the PD.

Take care
Jeff

Wow, that is suprising. All that work only equates to several rotations or about 6 months credit in another case. You ER guys are fanatics :)