Internist working in a specialty clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halifax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering have a friend who is an internist being asked to see patients in pulmonary specialty clinic and bill on his own.(he has just completed IM residency).

Is this legal and what are the legal implications for him?

Any input will be greatly helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering have a friend who is an internist being asked to see patients in pulmonary specialty clinic and bill on his own.(he has just completed IM residency).

Is this legal and what are the legal implications for him?

Any input will be greatly helpful.

What kind of patients is he being asked to see? ALL types of pulmonary? Or are they just trying to turf the COPD guys to him?

well just follow ups...he will be billing as an internist and patients will be told upfront its an internist...and he can always run the issues by a pulmonologist but the pulm guy wont sign the notes..he may even come into the room to say hi to the patient....sounds wierd and a money making ploy to me

well just follow ups...he will be billing as an internist and patients will be told upfront its an internist...and he can always run the issues by a pulmonologist but the pulm guy wont sign the notes..he may even come into the room to say hi to the patient....sounds wierd and a money making ploy to me

Sounds a bit odd to me, but if all they need is someone checking in on their symptoms, I can think of less expensive options than an MD - perhaps an NP or a PA giving the patient a phone call. Should be easy money generally, but I'd be clear with them that any patient still with lots of symptoms is going right back to the pulmonary doc.