INTERNS 2001/2002

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kiddiedoc

How come WE don't have a thread??? I see threads for "such-and-such school Class of 2005" and MCAT SURVIVORS groups. Where is the thread for the incoming residents?...Ok, what will we talk about?...Hmmm well, my part is done. See "subject=INTERNS 2001/2002" that was MY IDEA ;) Come on, you all can think of something to keep this going! It is not like you have much else to do. I notice that quite a few of us are on SDN MULTIPLE times during the day AND NIGHT (not pointing any fingers, and don't really want to call any names, so K.Cox and G.Pumpkin, I won't call you out) :) Anyway, just thought it could be nice having such a thread. If I am alone in this thought, then let it start and die here....
Obviously written by a bored 4th yr student....take care all
-KD

Members don't see this ad.

Hey kiddie doc. Great idea for a thread!

I am doing my prelim year in Long Beach, CA. If there are any of you out there going to be in the area for IM, please post or send me a private message.

For those of you already in internship, what are some good pocket size books to have for IM? How about stuff for the Palm? One mroe question on ICU rotations: are those as rough as everyone says it is?

Thanks everyone. Go interns! :D

WOW!!! We have a taker!!! Anymore????? By the way, anyone, besides me, actually going into peds????? I am new to the forums, and have not read all of the threads, but it seems that I sit alone. Ok, if no future pediatricians, how about those heading to the BEAUTIFUL state of NEW JERSEY??? Or am I alone there too???
-KD

Members don't see this ad :)
G.Pumpkin?

Hey, you lookin at me. You lookin at me!

The thread might last until about July 1st. :)

Originally posted by kiddiedoc:
•...how about those heading to the BEAUTIFUL state of NEW JERSEY??? Or am I alone there too???
-KD•

Did you call me?

Beautiful New Jersey huh? I interviewed at a couple of programs there and BOTH asked me, RIGHT OFF THE BAT - "Why NJ?". I admitted their state did have a bit of an image problem!

Well, I'll write some more later on this topic.

Hey kiddiedoc,
You're right, it's about time we had our own thread!!! Well I was born and raised in Beautiful Bayonne, NJ but I will be an intern out on Long Island this year. I'm doing EM but of course I am concerned with the time I will spend in the SICU and MICU. Is everyone else as anxious about the units as I am?? I hope I'm not alone.
"Whatever doesn't kill us will only make us stronger" Jerry

Hey j7Chico....I grew up in your new area. I think you will like it... I am not looking forward to NICU and PICU. I just am not an intensivist...well, let me know if you need any info about the Island (like where to do some shopping, THAT I KNOW ALL ABOUT :)

Well, I'm not going into peds and I've never been to New Jersey, but I am going to be a PGY1 on July 1. I too am terrified of the ICU. I have to do 2 months of CV-ICU and I'm terrified that it will be my first rotation. Yikes!.

Any of the rest of you taking off somewhere after graduation and before July? I'm going to Ireland for a few weeks. I leave 2 days after graduation and get back 2 days before residency begins!

My original plan was to go on vacation before residency, but with a start date of June 29 (a Friday AND day before my birthday no less) and orientation starting June 18, I hardly have time to relocate and set up! So I will have to look forward to that first vacation. I have yet to receive my schedule. Anyone know where they will be starting. I pray that it is not the ER or the NICU!
Tussy, what are you going into and what state? ENJOY Ireland! I have not been yet, but it is on my list!

tussy,
I am going to spend a week fishing in Florida and then I am off to Europe for 3 weeks. I figure I gotta have some fun before I become an indentured servant... er... I mean... an intern ;)

ana,

I know the feeling! I'm going on vacation for the same reasons. Plus, after this I won't have more than 1 week of vacation at a time, so this is my last chance for a big trip.

kiddiedoc,

I'll be starting a gen surg residency in Nova Scotia Canada. I just found out that I won't get my schedule for another 2 weeks! Although knowing my schedule now won't make any real difference, I just WANT TO KNOW! I guess i need to mentally prepare what's ahead.

Tussy,
I have a friend who will be starting Ortho at McGill. Is that anywhere near where you will be? Are you a US or Canadian citizen? If US, did you go through Canadian match? Anyway, I hear it's tough for Americans to get into Canada, so congrats to you if you are a Yank.

Where are you going for vacation?

Hey all, this was a great idea kiddiedoc since the medschool-pgy1 transition is probably the most stressful during residency.

I'm finishing my internship year in a combined 3+3 gensurg-plastics program. Taking as much vacationtime as possible before intership is a GREAT idea!!! The most important thing to do before internship is NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT. That's what orientation is for, and soon enough, you become indentured as a slave...

How was your year Kimberly?

ana,

Nope, I'm not a yank. I'm Canadian thru and thru. Montreal is about a 15 hour drive west of here. For my vacation I'm going to Ireland for 4 weeks. I leave 2 days after graduation and get back the day before orientation! I can't wait. Just have to get this pesky little exam over with.

Congratulations and Goodluck to all of us starting residency. I am spending a month vacationing in Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines) then off to NYC...yikes!!! :eek: