Internship and Starting Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visibility

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

so, just curious if there are any interns out there who are going to miss medicine now that our internships are coming to an end. honestly, i loved everything in med school, including medicine and (gasp!) obgyn, and it's somewhat bittersweet to put my steth away. i finally feel like i'm ready to take on DKA, and blood pressure issues, and hypoxia...but i'm leaving and have to start something else.

i'm also a little apprehensive....i know that the beginning of my ophtho residency will be tough and at times discouraging, and i'll be on a whole new learning curve. will i regret my chosen field? i'm a little worried.

any kindred spirits out there, or people who can relate? how long does it take before you start to feel that as an ophthalmologist, you are making a real and important difference in the lives of your patients? (i guess that is what ultimately gave me so much satisfaction as an intern in internal medicine...the feeling that we were taking REALLY sick people and making them much better - at least most of the time!)

Members don't see this ad.

in your shoes my friend but I guess I have different feelings,

1st : I absolutely hated last year ( internal medicine ) I think it was sometime after the third time I readmitted someone with the same CHF and same problem and the fact that ppl will wait till their last breath before they show up to the hospital that I realized medicine is definitely not for me .... oh and the fact that I only got to do so many few procedures.

Also I learned how crappy it must be to be the dumping basket for all other specialties.

on the positive side two things : I was well prepared for step 3 and I truely appreciated ophthalmology

2nd : regarding starting ophtho, I have so many mixed emotions I cannot even name them ( happy, scared, apprehensive, relieved ) JUST TO NAME A FEW. but one thing for sure I am extremely satisfied with my chosen specialty and cannot wait to start.