Internship Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocNukem2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if people know when the benefits for their program begin?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do people normally get paid for time spent at orientation?

Most benefits at my program, including health insurance, didn't start until we had been employed for three months (i.e. September). So we had to get temporary insurance or take on the risks of being uninsured for a period of time. Did get paid for orientation though.

Your contract will be / has been mailed to you. Read it. For the majority of university hospitals, health insurance and other benefits will be applied retroactively to your start date, but this will be different among institutions. And as others said, for many your 'start date' will be the first day of required orientation; for others it will be your first actual day.

It really does vary. My residency paid us for the full week of orientation, but the peds program at my institution only paid their interns for one of their two weeks.

Legally, employers are required to pay for required orientation. We have several optional orientation days first -- we mostly let the new interns get to meet each other and have some fun. Those are unpaid.

Legally, employers are required to pay for required orientation. We have several optional orientation days first -- we mostly let the new interns get to meet each other and have some fun. Those are unpaid.
really? that would be news to the program i did residency…which required us to be there 2 weeks prior to start of residency but did not pay for it.

Is this a state policy? I know for a fact the peds program at my institution only paid for one of their two orientation weeks. And that was ~9 months ago.