Internship Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TicToc22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a graduating 4th year going into Ophthalmology, and I was wondering if I might get some advice about internship year. Hopefully, I will be going to an internship with a good amount of elecive time....so I was curious about what electives you would recommend. Should I take as many ophtho electives as I can, in order to be more prepared for PGY-2? Or should I take no optho electives, because this will be my last chance to do other things? Or should I do maybe 1 ophtho elective, and use the rest of my time for other electives? Any advice would be appreciated from those who have been there.

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i think doing some ophthalmology is a good idea. of course, nothing can actually prepare you for the start of ophthalmology other than actually having to do it, but the more practice you get with slit-lamp biomicroscopy and indirect ophthalmoscopy, the easier the transition will be for you. you'll probably want to use some of that elective time to study for step III. other electives that might be high yield include ENT and neuro-radiology