PhD/PsyD Internship End Date, Post Doc, and Licensing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych1215

Reaction score
Hi there! I am just completing my internship interviews now and have a question about how start/end dates might impact post doc and licensure.

A couple of the sites I love have late internship start/end dates (late August, beginning of September). I am wondering if I end up at one of those sites, would it limit my chances of finding a formal post doc that starts in September? Is it true most post docs start in the summer?

Also, if my internship ends late August, I know my university would confer my degree in December. If this is the case, would I not be able to accrue post-doc lincensure hours from September-December? I am hoping to complete a formal post doc in NY. From my understanding, as long as I meet the comparative educational requirements, I can obtain a limited permit and accrue hours once my degree requirements are met, not necessarily when the degree is conferred.

I really appreciate any help or feedback regarding this! I know I might be getting ahead of myself, but just trying to understand as much of this process as possible :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't answer your question about hours for licensure, but I think many post-docs are flexible with regard to start dates. I'm in the process of applying for neuro post-docs now, and many sites state in their brochure that start date is flexible depending on internship end date. That being said, some sites may be less flexible than others. If you have a sense of where your top choice post-docs might be, it might be worth looking at their websites or brochures.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't answer your question about hours for licensure, but I think many post-docs are flexible with regard to start dates. I'm in the process of applying for neuro post-docs now, and many sites state in their brochure that start date is flexible depending on internship end date. That being said, some sites may be less flexible than others. If you have a sense of where your top choice post-docs might be, it might be worth looking at their websites or brochures.

Thank you!! That is very helpful to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most formal postdocs start in the fall and are flexible with this. It happens every year.

Accruing hours is state specific. My degree was conferred before my postdoc started so I am not sure, but having gone through state licensing crap, my guess is that most states wouldn't recognize those as "post-doctoral" hours, because it is not post your doctorate. Formal postdocs seem fine with this as long as you have met all degree requirements and are waiting on degree conferral.

Agree with the above: most postdocs have some flexibility regarding start dates. With mine, for example, I ended up starting two weeks after my co-fellow.

Also agree that licensure hours will vary by state. Checking with the state board(s) and reviewing the licensure regulations directly would be your best bet. My guess: some states will count the hours, some won't.

I would say that many postdocs are ok with taking a trainee whose degree has not yet been officially conferred, such as by requesting a letter from your university stating that all requirements have been met (e.g., worked with mine); however, there are some that can't, so I would be sure to check with each potential postdoc site.

I started earning post doc hours before my degree conferred. My DCT wrote a letter to the board stating that as of x date I had completed all requirements for graduation.

Reactions: 1 users
Most formal postdocs start in the fall and are flexible with this. It happens every year.

Accruing hours is state specific. My degree was conferred before my postdoc started so I am not sure, but having gone through state licensing crap, my guess is that most states wouldn't recognize those as "post-doctoral" hours, because it is not post your doctorate. Formal postdocs seem fine with this as long as you have met all degree requirements and are waiting on degree conferral.
Thank you!! I am glad to know most post docs seem flexible!

Agree with the above: most postdocs have some flexibility regarding start dates. With mine, for example, I ended up starting two weeks after my co-fellow.

Also agree that licensure hours will vary by state. Checking with the state board(s) and reviewing the licensure regulations directly would be your best bet. My guess: some states will count the hours, some won't.

I would say that many postdocs are ok with taking a trainee whose degree has not yet been officially conferred, such as by requesting a letter from your university stating that all requirements have been met (e.g., worked with mine); however, there are some that can't, so I would be sure to check with each potential postdoc site.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am definitely going to check in with the licensing board

I started earning post doc hours before my degree conferred. My DCT wrote a letter to the board stating that as of x date I had completed all requirements for graduation.

That's awesome!! And is refreshing to hear that it can happen :) thank you for sharing!

Hello! Wanted to jump back into this to ask... I am currently on post doc since September and my program is working to confer my degree (defended in September and finalized written dissertation in November). Bc of the pandemic things were so slow and I’m still not sure if they processed the conferral for the December date! I’ve been hounding them but it looks like I have to wait for after the holidays to verify :( My question is, will my post doctoral hours count towards licensure in New York retroactive to September/December? it pains me to have 3 months of hours go to “waste” in terms of hour counting

Hello! Wanted to jump back into this to ask... I am currently on post doc since September and my program is working to confer my degree (defended in September and finalized written dissertation in November). Bc of the pandemic things were so slow and I’m still not sure if they processed the conferral for the December date! I’ve been hounding them but it looks like I have to wait for after the holidays to verify :( My question is, will my post doctoral hours count towards licensure in New York retroactive to September/December? it pains me to have 3 months of hours go to “waste” in terms of hour counting

You'll probably have to check directly with the state board. Some may count those hours, some may not. You can also try combing through the licensing requirements and related regulations to see what they say.

Reactions: 2 users