SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Internship in Australia?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by applepark, Apr 28, 2007.

1. applepark

applepark 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Canada
    Is it possible to do our internship, after graduating from Ireland, in Australia? Basically, does Australia have a match process like US and Canada that is open to FMG??

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. leorl

leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2001
    yes it is possible, but if you are non aussie, you will have to take the oz exam, and you may be placed in an area of need. the requirements changed a little this year so it may be a good idea to talk to an aussie intern/doc. or ask in the aussie forums

4. driedcaribou

driedcaribou Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2003
    No, the Australian process seems to be more similar to the UK process.

You would likely need to do a year in Ireland first or whatever it takes to get registered in your country of training before you can go overseas.

You should ask a lot of Irish docs about this as there are many doctors from Ireland working in temporary resident postings in the Australian medical system.

5. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Canada
    You can't go to Australia until you do your internship year first. The Irish are leaving in record numbers for Australia because a) the area of needs are still really, really nice areas to live and b) the residency offers are really, really attractive in Australia. Good pay and really great hours (for EM anyway). I was looking into maybe doing that myself possibly.

6. applepark

applepark 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks you guys. That is what I thought. I couldn't find any information for resident positions without the 1 year internship.