Internship in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hermes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian, studying med in Ireland and going into my third year. I was just wondering about the internship year that we have to do, and was curious as to whether we had to complete it in Ireland or whether we could come back to Canada to do it. If anyone has any information on this, I'd really appreciate it!!

thanks
zoe

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have an internship year in Canada anymore. There is talk of bringing it back in, or so I've heard, and I really hope that they do it in the next couple years before I get there. In your 4th year you will have to apply for a residency through CARMS (online applications + interviews, I think, not sure cause I'm a few years away from that), which is the Canadian res matching system. As an international med grad you won't be eligible for the first round, which is for Canadians at canadian medical schools (and possibly at american schools, not entirely sure). Competitive specialities fill up in the first round, but there is always the odd spot in a reasonably comptetitve spec. that doesn't get filled. There's lots of family med spots in the 2nd round and an assortment of other less competitive specialities. Do a search for CARMS and find their site. There are lots of stats on The Match, for past years, including how Canadians who have studied abroad have fared.

Cheers