Internship interview next week, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for an internship at a hospital next week in the morning, and I did practice an interview with my sister. I think I have good guesses about what my interviewer will ask, but I wonder how strict it will be. Considering it's strictly volunteer based with lax work hours-only 4 hours per week-I don't think it will be as difficult as other job interviews, but do you know what questions they usually ask for an hospital internship, asides "why do you want to do it?", "tell me about yourself", or "what do you want to learn from this experience?"

Also, I am not sure what I am exactly going to do for the internship because they never told me any specifics; the interview was arranged rather promptly over the email after I sent them my resume.(there wasn't really any application for internship)

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview for an internship at a hospital next week in the morning, and I did practice an interview with my sister. I think I have good guesses about what my interviewer will ask, but I wonder how strict it will be. Considering it's strictly volunteer based with lax work hours-only 4 hours per week-I don't think it will be as difficult as other job interviews, but do you know what questions they usually ask for an hospital internship, asides "why do you want to do it?", "tell me about yourself", or "what do you want to learn from this experience?"

Also, I am not sure what I am exactly going to do for the internship because they never told me any specifics; the interview was arranged rather promptly over the email after I sent them my resume.(there wasn't really any application for internship)

The part in bold might be a problem. You have an interview for something and you don't know what the position entails? Find out the orgs website or something and get those specifics down. Know the company, mission statement, and general sense of what you'll be doing. Why are you qualified for this position? What other previous experiences will help you in this position? Be prepared to talk about stuff on your resume. What do you have that other people don't? General strengths/weaknesses? What can you contribute as a volunteer?

Also, prepare a couple of questions for them incase they are "do you have any questions for us?". Like I said before, make sure to check out the website and really get to know the org and what you'll be doing - at least get a general sense.

When I called the interviewer-she is a director of volunteer services-before I got my interview, she just said I would assigned certain jobs depending on situations. It looks like it will be fairly lax position.

https://www.dchsystem.com/jobs/internships.aspx

"DCH considers it part of our mission to help educate future generations of health care professionals. That’s why DCH hospitals work with scores of students every year as they complete clinical rotations, practicums or internships. In order to complete a clinical rotation, practicum or internship at a DCH hospital, the student must be enrolled in a program that has a clinical affiliation contract with DCH. If you are interested in doing a clinical rotation, practicum or internship at a DCH hospital, check with the office that handles clinical affiliations for your major to see if there is an existing relationship with DCH, or ask if they will pursue one with us. Due to federal privacy laws, DCH does not accommodate “job shadowing,” but students who want to familiarize themselves with a health care profession may apply to volunteer in an area of interest. For information on volunteering,click hereOpens a New Window.."

Yeah, the website doesn't provide specific descriptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called the interviewer-she is a director of volunteer services-before I got my interview, she just said I would assigned certain jobs depending on situations. It looks like it will be fairly lax position.

https://www.dchsystem.com/jobs/internships.aspx

"DCH considers it part of our mission to help educate future generations of health care professionals. That’s why DCH hospitals work with scores of students every year as they complete clinical rotations, practicums or internships. In order to complete a clinical rotation, practicum or internship at a DCH hospital, the student must be enrolled in a program that has a clinical affiliation contract with DCH. If you are interested in doing a clinical rotation, practicum or internship at a DCH hospital, check with the office that handles clinical affiliations for your major to see if there is an existing relationship with DCH, or ask if they will pursue one with us. Due to federal privacy laws, DCH does not accommodate “job shadowing,” but students who want to familiarize themselves with a health care profession may apply to volunteer in an area of interest. For information on volunteering,click hereOpens a New Window.."

Yeah, the website doesn't provide specific descriptions.

Wow that is incredibly vague haha. Well, just do the best with what you have then. Good luck.

It seems like you're going in for a ED volunteer program. You'll change linens, help patients out with non-procedure things, follow nurses around, and maybe get to shadow the PA/MD if he or she is nice. I get why they wanna interview you though.

I'd say answer the questions holistically; you're not there to make life-death decisions. You're gonna do things that nurses honestly don't have time for and you need to be okay with that (not accusing you of anything; they will probably assume you feel "entitled.") I think I had to interview for an ED volunteer gig and the volunteer coordinator made sure I'd be able to come in on a consistent manner, understood the job after it was described to me in-depth, and wanted to see if I could communicate effectively with others. It isn't any big deal.

Hope it is as easy as you make it sounds like. Thanks