Internship interviews: Case presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do others plan out and conduct case presentations? I feel like this is my primary weakness in interviews, as none of my sites really emphasized case presentations so I've got limited experience giving and seeing these. I think I can articulate theoretically-consistent case conceptualization and interventions, but I'm just curious about what others do.

Also, how do others handle the huge variability in requests for these, time-wise? I'm hearing variability from 5 minutes to 30 minutes between sites; I've got a straightforward case (GAD, some comorbid health stuff, cultural difference, quick and easy response to CBT) planned for a short one and a complex case (depressive symptoms, family problems, sexuality, religion, transference/countertransference.... that one has it all....) for the long ones.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a good outline in your head (demographics, presenting problem, Hx, Tx, Outcome, Recommendations, etc.) It is helpful to think through each section, have a sentence or two that explains the basics, and be comfortable talking about how you conceptualized the case, and what interventions you implemented (or tried to implement). This is best when asked, "talk about a case".

You don't need to pick a "perfect" case, as there really is no such thing as one. It is better to have a good example that shows you know how to assess, conceptualize, implement an intervention, and then talk about the outcome. Many times you won't "fix" the problem, but you can help them progress to the next step...and hopefully the next person can take it from there.

Last edited:
Present the basic ID first and give a brief overview of dx, HPI, PPI. Don't dive into complex case formulation or pronouncements until you have the listeners oriented. And be aware of what you are communicating about your relationship to the patient. Sometimes students convey that they know theory but show contempt for the patient or no capacity to see their strengths.. That is a deal-breaker for us.