Internship list - too competitive??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninim

Reaction score
I‘m applying for internship this fall, and I’m starting to think I’m being too picky but because of my family (kids) I’m also geographically restricted. Compared to some others I also don’t have a heavy peds background and balanced my externships out more during training (one 2 year pediatric/adult externship, 1 inpatient adult, and for my last externship most likely pediatric/adolescent IBH or ED). I have a strong interested in pediatric C/L, so have been mostly looking at sites with some component to that. Any general input on this list:

Lennox Hill (generalist but some peds C/L)
NYU Langone Rusk Child Track (C/L inpatient child w medical complex cases)
Mt. Sinai Elmhurst Child Track m
Mount Sinai Morningside (formerly St.Luke’s) Child track
Northwell Health Child Track
Montefiore Child and Adolescent Track
NYU Bellevue Child Adolescent track
Columbia Presbyterian Child Track
Kings County Child Track (has no C/L)
Cooper University Hospital - Lifespan Track
Stony Brook (generalist, combined ish, C/L rotation)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Integrative Behavioral Healthcare)
Yale Child Study Center
Institute of Living/ Hartford Hospital - child track

Members don't see this ad.

Even if I had your full CV and application in front of me, these things are always tricky.

My problem was somewhat different (applying nationally, but focused exclusively on research-heavy AMCs). I was told my list was too competitive and I should add 2-3 more so I did. Those "less competitive" places I added were the only ones I did NOT get an interview at.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you have publications? Some of those places are going to look for research background.

I wanted a research-heavy internship so I applied to pretty much all very, very competitive "big name" sites, with a few that seemed less competitive geographically. Because I knew my list was so high-falutin, I applied to a ridiculous number of sites (11, I want to say?) I did end up matching, but to my second last choice, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't hurt to ask, and you can't know unless you try.

What's the worst that could happen? They say "no"?

Reactions: 1 user
No shade to you btw. I wonder why applicants don't just 'send it.' You either get in or you don't right?

I guess it's nice to have that cushion of fallback sites if you don't get into the more competitive ones, but nothing is guaranteed.
(Also that application fee can hurt the pockets, so eliminating some no-shot sites couldn't hurt. Damn near $500 if you apply to 15 sites?
We're b r o k e .)

Any general input on this list:
I have zero insight on your sites (not my clinical area and nowhere close to my region).

Unless things have changed significantly from when I applied to internship 7 years ago, pediatric spots are harder to match to than adult spots due to less supply than demand.

Since you're local already, what's your program's general reputation in the area & how excited/not excited will training faculty be to receive an application from your program (like before they even see your specific materials)? Does your program routinely match students to peds spots overall? Does your program have a track record of sending good interns to these specific sites? Are you aware of any personal connections, like either a faculty or externship supervisor who may have worked at these sites in the past whose letter may be given more weight than a random letter?

If so, you might be in a better starting spot & and your TD might also have a pretty good idea of how to evaluate/craft your application.

If your answers are no & if you're also in a large cohort program where you & your TD hardly even know each other, that's not ideal. I might consider applying to more programs than recommended and prepare a bit more in advance for Phase 2/plan B options.

No shade to you btw. I wonder why applicants don't just 'send it.' You either get in or you don't right?

They're trying to apply strategically for the best chances of matching this year so that they don't have to take another year and they have some complications (e.g., geographic restrictions) that make it more difficult. What's wrong with asking for help and guidance from people who have been through the process, some of whom who have reviewed internship apps for adcoms?

1706812709772.png

I guess it's nice to have that cushion of fallback sites if you don't get into the more competitive ones, but nothing is guaranteed.
(Also that application fee can hurt the pockets, so eliminating some no-shot sites couldn't hurt. Damn near $500 if you apply to 15 sites?
We're b r o k e .)
That's part of the point. If it's expensive to apply, it's a highly consequential career decision, and applications are only available once per year, then it's important to apply strategically based on a student's goals, CV, geographic limitations, and other factors to avoid not matching.

Reactions: 1 users
They're trying to apply strategically for the best chances of matching this year so that they don't have to take another year and they have some complications (e.g., geographic restrictions) that make it more difficult. What's wrong with asking for help and guidance from people who have been through the process, some of whom who have reviewed internship apps for adcoms?

View attachment 381925

That's part of the point. If it's expensive to apply, it's a highly consequential career decision, and applications are only available once per year, then it's important to apply strategically based on a student's goals, CV, geographic limitations, and other factors to avoid not matching.

Not helpful to OP, but GILBERT, my all-time favorite KotH one-off character (we don't discuss the second episode in which he appears, as it does not exist)

• Haha
Not helpful to OP, but GILBERT, my all-time favorite KotH one-off character (we don't discuss the second episode in which he appears, as it does not exist)
Why, don't you like the BBQ episode?

It seems like you live in NYC, so why even consider the sites in CT and Philly unless you're planning to relocate? I worked as a supervisor (psychologist) at one of your top picks. I estimate that 25-50% of the accepted applicants were previously known to us, either as externs, research assistants, etc.). Talk to people you know who have had internships at these sites to get the inside scoop and try to leverage your networks, but don't overdo it.

I‘m applying for internship this fall, and I’m starting to think I’m being too picky but because of my family (kids) I’m also geographically restricted. Compared to some others I also don’t have a heavy peds background and balanced my externships out more during training (one 2 year pediatric/adult externship, 1 inpatient adult, and for my last externship most likely pediatric/adolescent IBH or ED). I have a strong interested in pediatric C/L, so have been mostly looking at sites with some component to that. Any general input on this list:

Lennox Hill (generalist but some peds C/L)
NYU Langone Rusk Child Track (C/L inpatient child w medical complex cases)
Mt. Sinai Elmhurst Child Track m
Mount Sinai Morningside (formerly St.Luke’s) Child track
Northwell Health Child Track
Montefiore Child and Adolescent Track
NYU Bellevue Child Adolescent track
Columbia Presbyterian Child Track
Kings County Child Track (has no C/L)
Cooper University Hospital - Lifespan Track
Stony Brook (generalist, combined ish, C/L rotation)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Integrative Behavioral Healthcare)
Yale Child Study Center
Institute of Living/ Hartford Hospital - child track
I personally applied to “safety’s” “targets” and “reaches” :) It never hurts to apply to competitive sites, just make sure you have backups

As for your specific sites, I am doing my postdoc at Lenox Hill and love the clinicians who interviewed me. A friend did internship there and enjoyed it.
I interviewed at Columbia Presbyterian for APA internship and was impressed. They tend to rank their own former Externs higher though. They were my #2.
NYU Langone Rusk Child Track - if this is the neuropsych one then I would be cautious as most interns are overworked and burnt out from what I heard.
Montefiore Child and Adolescent Track - this site has a good reputation but is extremely competitive. I didn’t get an interview.
Kings County Child Track - my friend loved this site.
Cooper University Hospital - my friend loved her externship here.

Reactions: 1 user
Never said there was a problem, just asked generally why people did so, which you answered.

We're b r o k e .)
Not sure if you mean to be rude but uneccessary

I personally applied to “safety’s” “targets” and “reaches” :) It never hurts to apply to competitive sites, just make sure you have backups

As for your specific sites, I am doing my postdoc at Lenox Hill and love the clinicians who interviewed me. A friend did internship there and enjoyed it.
I interviewed at Columbia Presbyterian for APA internship and was impressed. They tend to rank their own former Externs higher though. They were my #2.
NYU Langone Rusk Child Track - if this is the neuropsych one then I would be cautious as most interns are overworked and burnt out from what I heard.
Montefiore Child and Adolescent Track - this site has a good reputation but is extremely competitive. I didn’t get an interview.
Kings County Child Track - my friend loved this site.
Cooper University Hospital - my friend loved her externship here.
Thank you!

View attachment 381925

thank you!