Internship opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optopto2727

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
can someone tell me if you did a interesting/fun summer internship with an organization that was related to optometry. I have looked at the optometry schools that offer summer programs, but I was thinking of something else, more like Warby Parker, or something like that?

Can you please share you internship experiences if you had have any.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
can someone tell me if you did a interesting/fun summer internship with an organization that was related to optometry. I have looked at the optometry schools that offer summer programs, but I was thinking of something else, more like Warby Parker, or something like that?

Can you please share you internship experiences if you had have any.
Thank you.
Mentioning Warby Parker would be a negative at most interviews.

They are masters of marketing hype, but put out an inferior product, take sales away from practicing OD's, & their "humanitarian" efforts pale in comparison to a lot of optometric organizations.

Warby Parker looks cool to the uneducated, but they're considered a bad joke with a slick PR agent by much of the optometric community.

Want a meaningful experience, check out VOSH, Unite for Sight, or contact a school & ask about how you could volunteer.

May I ask where you got this information about Warby Parker?

May I ask where you got this information about Warby Parker?
Right from their own website.
IMO, they are highly successful at selling cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Anyone with knowledge of the optical industry can identify the majority of it as marketing hype. There are other on-line retailers selling the same Chinese-made frames for a fraction of what they charge.

Most frame manufacturers have programs where they donate their old, discontinued lines to charities.
The latest studies have actually found that it makes little economic sense to ship donated glasses overseas when they can be manufactured there for a lot less.

Ask almost any OD or veteran optician what their opinion about Warby Parker is.