Internship or Observership in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm 2nd year resident doctor in Orthopedics, I'm thinking of moving to Germany and for that reason I would like to go there to ''take a look'', do you have any idea which is the best way to just spend couple of months in some of the clinics there? I'm interested in going there, observing work and participating in surgeries/ward rounds?

and by the way do you know how they call this position (Intern or Observer) in Germany?

any help will be really appreciated

vielen Dank :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

just "taking" a look is not exactly possible.
You'd have to actually work as a doctor.

I suppose you already have your licence to practise medicine, so you would be a resident.
In Germany, their is nothing like what you call internship.
Here, all doctors get their licence and go directly into residency.

Before working in Germany, your licence needs to become acknowleged from an institution called "Ärztekammer" (= medical association).
You also need to provide evidence that you have sufficient knowlegde of the German language.

Then, in theory, you can apply for any job.

Yes...but I think in most hospitals an unpaid internship ("Praktikum") - would be possible at any time...as an observer. It has nothing in common with the "internship" that is known in other educational systems but I'd say, just write a nice e-mail to a hospital, explain your situation and ask. Knowledge of German would surely be helpful anyway...