Internship site rankings when there are multiple rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kibbles_n_bits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know how internship site rankings are handled when there are a number of rotation spots to fill? For example, UCSD/SFVA has 19 rotations and 19 spots available for interns, so one intern per rotation (or really 2 per rotation because they require interns to complete 2 rotations throughout the year). How does that fit into how these types of programs rank and how the match is eventually made?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, not really any different because in these cases, each track/position will have a different match # (the SD program has 19 separate #s, one for each position... I don't think you can mix/match rotations). If they think you fit in multiple positions, they'll rank you in all of them. And you can rank the positions separately as if they're for different sites.

Generally, not really any different because in these cases, each track/position will have a different match # (the SD program has 19 separate #s, one for each position... I don't think you can mix/match rotations). If they think you fit in multiple positions, they'll rank you in all of them. And you can rank the positions separately as if they're for different sites.

Yup! Same deal for my internship rankings at a consortium site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Same deal for my internship rankings at a consortium site.
Oh my gosh. I think I would have realized that if I wasn’t such an anxious mess and stopped to think about it. Thank you both for your responses!

Hello! Does anyone know how internship site rankings are handled when there are a number of rotation spots to fill? For example, UCSD/SFVA has 19 rotations and 19 spots available for interns, so one intern per rotation (or really 2 per rotation because they require interns to complete 2 rotations throughout the year). How does that fit into how these types of programs rank and how the match is eventually made?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Treat as entirely separate programs in ranking.