Internship/Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jps17kl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in urgent need of everyone's help.

I am currently doing an internship (summer reasearch at another school). I also work with a professor to do research at my own school.

here is my situation. I worked for my college professor over the summer while taking a summer course. I thought doing more research would be helpful for later so I applied and got this position at another school. And honestly, Im not doing anything productive. and I KNOW I can be spending my time doing something more productive instead of spending nearly 12hours a day here doing nothing (have to wake up at 6 to go to work, then come back home around 6 or 7).

My question is, is doing summer research/internship really necessary? How in depth would they ask about it at interviews? I mean I am already doing plenty of research with my own professor. And if at the interview they ask me, "what kind of research did you do (the one i am doing at another school)?" I dont have anything do say. As of now, this seems to have nothing that is beneficial to me. What do you guys think? I am a rising Junior and I would rather be shadowing a dentist or volunteering somewhere else. Ive been in front of the computer for the past few days...

Sorry for the long post. please tell me your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation as you. I've been involved in a research, but I won't do stuff much. My friend did from 9 am to 5 pm for 8 hrs a day for a month, but I've been doing 3 hrs a day. And then I go to a dentist's office for 3 hrs a day. I would recommend you to reduce your research time from 12 hrs to 6 hrs and start to shadow at a dentist's office for 6 hrs...
Idk, but that's just my opinion tho..