Internship Year, Twice? Finding something to do before July 2016 start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiwhiz85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for APROGDIR or someone of similar background/knowledge please.

Have already completed a prelim internship before beginning my advanced position. Took time off in my PGY-2 yr to have my twins and reapplied via the match for a completely different advanced specialty (one more conducive to having kids with special needs)

Thankfully, I matched today! My question is... can I apply for prelim or transitional programs in my area via SOAP (even though i've already done a prelim year)? I'm ready to get back to work and want to stay clinically abreast and on top of things before starting my advanced position next July 2016.

Please let me know if I can/should/am eligible to apply for another internship or prelim position during this gap year. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Have already completed a prelim internship before beginning my advanced position. Took time off in my PGY-2 yr to have my twins and reapplied via the match for a completely different advanced specialty (one more conducive to having kids with special needs)

Thankfully, I matched today! My question is... can I apply for prelim or transitional programs in my area via SOAP (even though i've already done a prelim year)? I'm ready to get back to work and want to stay clinically abreast and on top of things before starting my advanced position next July 2016.

Please let me know if I can/should/am eligible to apply for another internship or prelim position during this gap year. Thanks!!
I know multiple residents who did the first internship trying the match again to get into their preferred specialty, ended up soaping an advanced program then going into another internship...Long story short I definitely think you can do this but if you haven't already secured a spot you are more than likely looking at preliminary surgery spots at this point...probably not the best year for a mom with special needs twins if she doesn't have to do it. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

If you already did a prelim year, why do you need to do another one? Why can't you just start your advanced specialty?

I know multiple residents who did the first internship trying the match again to get into their preferred specialty, ended up soaping an advanced program then going into another internship...Long story short I definitely think you can do this but if you haven't already secured a spot you are more than likely looking at preliminary surgery spots at this point...probably not the best year for a mom with special needs twins if she doesn't have to do it. Good luck
Thanks so much for your response, very sage advice. For now, my tentative plan is to spend the summer with my children- and this fall will be joining a large private Rads firm here as an "observer". I'm thankful for the opportunity to do something useful and relevant during this gap year, and am grateful to get a head-start knowledge wise.