internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
What is the internship year like for someone going into FP? I am applying to D.O. schools and have a family of 5, so want to know what to expect.

-thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is just as hard as the internship year of any other residency program. It gets alot better in second year, though.

Clue said:
It is just as hard as the internship year of any other residency program. It gets alot better in second year, though.

yeah right...find one GS, Ortho, NS, OB/Gyn resident to agree with this one. It is probably just as difficult as any other primary care residency. If you don't go to a huge academic place, I think 60 hours a week is a pretty safe bet for most FP terns.

ortho2003 said:
yeah right...find one GS, Ortho, NS, OB/Gyn resident to agree with this one. It is probably just as difficult as any other primary care residency. If you don't go to a huge academic place, I think 60 hours a week is a pretty safe bet for most FP terns.

I can't speak for fp, but if you are saying that most primary care interns work 60 hour weeks, you haven't been there! Maybe medicine is different, but in peds we have trouble keeping under the 80 hour work week restrictions, and that was true at all of the programs I interviewed at. I had a friend go through fp and got her a$$ kicked by the internship (she was AOA and very capable, they just worked the residents to death). Not to scare the OP, but you can't assume that fp internships are (comparatively) easy.