Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSNN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My husband will be moving to Canada very soon on work permit. I have completed my MBBS degree from outside Canada and will be intrested to do my internship in Canada.
Please let me know if it is possible for me to do the internship in Canada and if so what is the process.

Members don't see this ad.

i am studying medicine in australia
and i'd like to have an internship and register in canada too!

All applications to Canadian residency training (we don't have internship here, per se) is done through a national service called CaRMS.

To apply for a Canadian residency, there are a series of general criteria and provincial criteria to meet.

First, you MUST be a Canadian citizen/permanent resident graduating from a FAIMER school.

You need to have your MCCEE passed and written the year prior - for example, if you wanted to participate in the 2010 match you'd need to write (and pass) the MCCEE in 2009. TOEFL is also required by many schools (see provincial criteria). Also, if you can pass the LMCC part I before you apply and interview, this is a plus (though not necessary).

Students who did their medical degrees outside Canada or the US (for allopathic schools) are considered international medical graduates (IMGs). IMGs compete in a separate stream (see the right hand column) from grads from Candian MD programs (hereafter known as Canadian grads) in the first round of the CaRMS match. There are approximately 2400 Canadian grads (competing for 2600 spots) and, in 2009, there were 1387 IMGs competing for 236 positions (ultimately 294 IMGs matched, including the handful that got spots in the second round).

So you can see that the odds aren't great for IMGs trying to match to a Canadian residency. Only a small porportion of IMGs get residency (about 21%).

Assuming you have met the criteria above:

1) Canadian citizen/permanent resident
2) Grad of FAIMER school
3) MCCEE pass
4) TOFEL (or equivalent) pass if required

. . . then how do you increase your odds of getting a Canadian residency?

1) have done rotations at the program you'd like to match to

2) have letters of reference from Canadian programs

If they've never met you, they probably won't pick you - but if you did an elective, and they know you and like you, you're much further ahead. It goes without saying that you really need to do well in these rotations (e.g. great command of the English language (or French) both spoken & written, and good rapport with patients and staff, uncomplaining hard worker, etc. etc.), but if you can do well, you will be remembered when it comes time to rank applicants. Good letters of reference from Canadian programs where you did electives are also very helpful.

3) Apply widely

If you are thinking internal medicine, also apply for family medicine (assuming you would be happy doing family medicine). Be aware that switching is difficult (maybe very difficult) and so whatever you are matched to you are contractually stuck with. So DON'T RANK ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT.

One more important fact: the CaRMS IMG residency positions come with ROS (return-in-service contracts) attached to them. Most provinces give details about their ROS under provincial criteria.

Last edited: