ChEStud

5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Texas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Right now I'm a Chemical Engineering student with around a 3.35-3.4 GPA. I plan on volunteering this summer at a Pharmacy Clinic and taking some classes at a local Community College. I was wondering, would an internship at pharmaceutical companies such as Merck, Bayer,etc. look good on my resume and boost my chances in getting into a Pharmacy School? I'm kind of worried because my Engineering GPA looks kind of bad :scared:

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Sure, I think it'll look good, but you need to get one first. I find it hard to believe that pharmaceutical companies are still accepting applicants for this summer (though of course I don't know about every single company). Most internships are interviewing by now.

Still, no harm in trying. If that's something you'd enjoy doing, go for it. The way that I look at it is that every experience gives you another story for your cover letter and your interview.

However, keep in mind that these are full-time positions, so almost impossible to do while taking college classes. Sure internships are good, but you shouldn't stress yourself out too much.

Monalyce

PharmD-to-be in 2013!
10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'd take any internship over classes...no point in taking classes if you aren't 100% positive that you want to be in pharmacy school.

ChEStud

5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Texas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Sure, I think it'll look good, but you need to get one first. I find it hard to believe that pharmaceutical companies are still accepting applicants for this summer (though of course I don't know about every single company). Most internships are interviewing by now.

Still, no harm in trying. If that's something you'd enjoy doing, go for it. The way that I look at it is that every experience gives you another story for your cover letter and your interview.

However, keep in mind that these are full-time positions, so almost impossible to do while taking college classes. Sure internships are good, but you shouldn't stress yourself out too much.
This is for next summer ; This summer I plan on working in a Pharmacy and taking some extra courses.