• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

OceanAngel

NCSU c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Durham, NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This is kind of a random question, but I was wondering if anyone has any information about getting your DVM in the U.S., but then doing an internship abroad. Are there sites with this kind of information or do you just search on your own. Also, does anyone know about the job prospect once coming back from an internship abroad? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

birdvet2006

Glasgow c/o 2006
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Portsmouth, NH
www.all-animals.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
The UK internships are usually advertised in the Veterinary Record (a weekly journal from the British Veterinary Association). They are often advertised in the late winter to spring.

The interns I've spoken to in the UK (from UK schools or European schools) make it sound like it's almost impossible to get a US residency after doing a UK internship. But I really don't know.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi, bumping this thread because I was curious about where a US vet school grad can practice or get an internship. If you graduate from a US school, are you only accredited in the US or can you practice in other countries? Regardless, can you get an internship or externship abroad if you go to school in the US? A lot of the vet schools overseas seem to have externships or masters programs geared towards new vets but are they available for US vet students? I am particularly interested in RVCs programs for new vets in wildlife and exotic animal medicine. Thanks!

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2011
Under the Sea
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Hi, bumping this thread because I was curious about where a US vet school grad can practice or get an internship. If you graduate from a US school, are you only accredited in the US or can you practice in other countries? Regardless, can you get an internship or externship abroad if you go to school in the US? A lot of the vet schools overseas seem to have externships or masters programs geared towards new vets but are they available for US vet students? I am particularly interested in RVCs programs for new vets in wildlife and exotic animal medicine. Thanks!
Don't quote me on this, but I think you have to take Europe's equivalent to the NAVLE to practice (and then there are probably individual boards as well).

maybe not? http://www.rcvs.org.uk/registration/how-to-register/us-canadian-graduates/

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.