Internships for People Who Recently Graduated from College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpaperart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my senior year of college and I'm looking for summer internships and other internships but am finding it difficult to find ones that aren't for just undergraduates. I've found a few, but I would like to find many more so I can make a more informed decision. Is there a special website? Or does anyone want to recommend an internship they did? A few that I have found are at the Seneca park zoo, the farm sanctuary in NY, big cat rescue.

I came across an internship at Purdue University for biomedical or clinical research. I would be more interested in clinical research, although I still have to look more into it, but it says they take undergraduates and graduates. By graduates, does that mean graduate students, or people who recently graduated from college? This same question applies to the Staten Island Zoo and the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) if anyone could answer it. Thank you.

I'm interested in veterinary, animal husbandry, and maybe even a research one dealing with animal behavior studies or something similar to that. I'm in a neuroscience lab right now for the summer, but I'm not that interested in it, and am not sure if I will continue it because I don't feel that great committing more time to it when I could instead be gaining vet and other animal experience hours my final academic year.

I have an additional question. If I drop the research lab, then I'm going to lose the honors program as well as they require a senior thesis and being a biology/neuroscience major, I have to be in a research lab. Because I'm not as interested in the research as I thought, as I said, I would rather not continue it. I've learned a lot about handling mice and various procedures involving them as well as brain sectioning. I tried to learn laboratory techniques, such as H&E staining, western blotting, but I wasn't really given that many opportunities to try them for myself... this summer has felt really slow in terms of fitting into the lab and learning basic techniques, which is another reason I'm not sure if I want to continue in the lab. Would vet schools look unfavorably at someone who dropped an honors program? I have a pretty good GPA right now, 3.8, and will have met course prereqs for most schools when I graduate. And would they look unfavorably at someone who did not continue in a research lab?

Sorry this turned out longer than I had expected, mostly because of the additional question. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're looking for next summer, immediately after graduation? It might be worth checking with some that say they're for undergraduates, because sometimes the summer right after a school year is considered part of that year, so they might be fine with a just-graduated student. I've never done an internship so I don't know whether that would be true, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

A lot of undergrad internships will accept people as long as they are still in undergrad when they applied (ie, for the summer after graduation). Otherwise, it never hurts to ask. Some places aren't as strict as others about these things and if you take the initiative to ask they may be open to it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my senior year of college and I'm looking for summer internships and other internships but am finding it difficult to find ones that aren't for just undergraduates. I've found a few, but I would like to find many more so I can make a more informed decision. Is there a special website? Or does anyone want to recommend an internship they did? A few that I have found are at the Seneca park zoo, the farm sanctuary in NY, big cat rescue.

I came across an internship at Purdue University for biomedical or clinical research. I would be more interested in clinical research, although I still have to look more into it, but it says they take undergraduates and graduates. By graduates, does that mean graduate students, or people who recently graduated from college? This same question applies to the Staten Island Zoo and the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) if anyone could answer it. Thank you.

I'm interested in veterinary, animal husbandry, and maybe even a research one dealing with animal behavior studies or something similar to that. I'm in a neuroscience lab right now for the summer, but I'm not that interested in it, and am not sure if I will continue it because I don't feel that great committing more time to it when I could instead be gaining vet and other animal experience hours my final academic year.

I have an additional question. If I drop the research lab, then I'm going to lose the honors program as well as they require a senior thesis and being a biology/neuroscience major, I have to be in a research lab. Because I'm not as interested in the research as I thought, as I said, I would rather not continue it. I've learned a lot about handling mice and various procedures involving them as well as brain sectioning. I tried to learn laboratory techniques, such as H&E staining, western blotting, but I wasn't really given that many opportunities to try them for myself... this summer has felt really slow in terms of fitting into the lab and learning basic techniques, which is another reason I'm not sure if I want to continue in the lab. Would vet schools look unfavorably at someone who dropped an honors program? I have a pretty good GPA right now, 3.8, and will have met course prereqs for most schools when I graduate. And would they look unfavorably at someone who did not continue in a research lab?

Sorry this turned out longer than I had expected, mostly because of the additional question. Thanks for reading.

Hi alpaperart! Is this the Purdue program you're looking at ---> http://www.vet.purdue.edu/veterinary-scholars/ ? Because I'm currently involved in this program and may be able to answer some questions about it for you.

You might find this site helpful. http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/vetag.htm

I'm not sure if what your time-frame preference is or whether you would care if it is paid or unpaid, but if you are looking at a veterinary internship/service trip I highly recommend attending one of the mobile spay/neuter/vaccine clinics offered by the HSVMA, a division of HSUS. I attended one of their trips to a Native American Sioux Reservation in South Dakota 2 summers ago, and it was unbelievable. It is open to both pre-vets as well as vet students, techs, current vets, and support staff who help with intake. If you're interested or have any questions feel free to PM me. http://www.ruralareavet.org/

Reactions: 1 user
jobiology.com!

Reactions: 1 user
In regards to dropping your honors program, when I applied and was accepted this past cycle, I was a third year in an honors program. The honors college would have also required me to write a thesis to graduate with honors but honestly during all of my interviews (UPenn, UF, VMRCVM) the topic of my honors college never came up. Now obviously, because I'm going to vet school before I can graduate from undergrad, I wont even have my bachelors degree at matriculation and have dropped the honors college. I think vet schools tend to value the quality of your pre-vet experience, courses, and research even if you had to drop the honors program. They'll see that you gained the experience and learned from it.