Internships in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm interested in doing an internship specifically in NY and was wondering if anyone had done any and had places they'd recommend. Side note - how important is visiting for an externship ahead of time?

Members don't see this ad.

The advice I always have for prospective interns is to always contact the current interns - they will tell you all the good and bad things about the internship. I did my residency at Cornell, and most interns leave the internship much better doctors. They also have a high percentage of people obtaining residencies. In the end, you always have to make the most of your internship. Doesn't matter how good a program is if you don't put on the effort!

Visiting for internships is always debatable, and generally speaking, won't give you that higher of a chance to match there unless. There are, of course, always exceptions and it will depend on the individual situation.

In your situation, since you're only considering one state, it might be worthwhile visiting since you won't have as many chances of matching as someone that is applying throughout the country.