Aug 2, 2014
I'm not trolling, this is a serious question and I googled it plus searched this forum but haven't found anything specific. I'm guessing that the only pathway to doing Interventional Cardiology is doing Internal Medicine residency, followed by Cardiology fellowship, then Interventional Cardiology fellowship. Is there any other pathway to get to Interventional Cardiology?

"The primary area for turf battles is arterial intervention. Interventional radiologists invented cardiac catheterization, they performed the first cardiac angioplasties, and designed many of the catheters used for cardiac catheterization. We did this wonderful technical thing but someone else controlled the patients. Then cardiologists said they wanted to learn cardiac catheterization and vascular surgeons said they wanted to do angioplasty. Now, there's something even bigger. The cardiologists want to treat other things, such as leg pain." - Dr. Kaufman

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474714#vp_2

Last edited:

IMreshopeful

7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
No you cannot do IC through IR as far as I'm aware.

Also part of the reason IR's stuff is getting turfed is because they are unwilling to take patient ownership. Turns out patients prefer having their own doctor as the one doing the procedure and not some random Joe scrubbing in.

salk

5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
You have to be a moron to ask that question. Do you anything about STEMI, PCI, cardiology?
No, IR can't do jack when it comes to PCI, cardiologist do and will keep on doing everything in coronaries.
People like Kaufman are full of c, spewing **** on medscape, as if that will get them anywhere.

OP
M
Aug 2, 2014
You have to be a moron to ask that question. Do you anything about STEMI, PCI, cardiology?
No, IR can't do jack when it comes to PCI, cardiologist do and will keep on doing everything in coronaries.
People like Kaufman are full of c, spewing **** on medscape, as if that will get them anywhere.

Who the hell do you think you are? You're the moron for trying to bully someone who's genuinely asking a question, no matter HOW STUPID that question seems to you. I will NEVER stand for annoying idiots who bully others, especially in the medical field. You think you're such a hot shot for being a big fat bully on here? LOL! If I knew the answer to my question, then I WOULDN'T BE ASKING THE QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE! I even mentioned that I tried to search for my answer online. So save your insecurity and your crap for another forum, because you have no right at all to be rude to someone here. If you can't answer the question without insulting people, then "spew" your crap elsewhere.

On second thought, I can understand (wink, wink) why you would feel the need to put down random people on an anonymous internet forum.

Last edited:

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not trolling, this is a serious question and I googled it plus searched this forum but haven't found anything specific. I'm guessing that the only pathway to doing Interventional Cardiology is doing Internal Medicine residency, followed by Cardiology fellowship, then Interventional Cardiology fellowship. Is there any other pathway to get to Interventional Cardiology?

"The primary area for turf battles is arterial intervention. Interventional radiologists invented cardiac catheterization, they performed the first cardiac angioplasties, and designed many of the catheters used for cardiac catheterization. We did this wonderful technical thing but someone else controlled the patients. Then cardiologists said they wanted to learn cardiac catheterization and vascular surgeons said they wanted to do angioplasty. Now, there's something even bigger. The cardiologists want to treat other things, such as leg pain." - Dr. Kaufman

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474714#vp_2
So there are a few problems with IR doing cardiac cath
- they don't control the flow of patients
- they really only work 9-5. People are so inconsiderate when they have their STEMIs.
- STEMI patients tend to be sick and quite frankly, IR people didn't really do a clinical residency. They just don't have the training to deal with ICU level patients.

Fab5Hill33

Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Believe me, there is no IR who wants to do cardiac caths. You guys can keep it.

joejabjab

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
IR docs, IC docs, and vascular surgeons perform peripheral endovascular work (such as leg interventions). Each hospital works a bit differently on it and there's a lot of cross over all over the country. Within the coronary space though, only IC does coronary interventions.

Of note, I've heard there are a couple pilot programs to expedite cardiology training by a year (2 yrs IM, 3 yr CV). I don't know exactly which programs those are.

Myostatin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm an interventional cardiologist - as a speciality we can't discount or trivialize the role that interventional radiologists have had in the development of cardiac catheterization. Every heard of a Judkins catheter? Judkins was a radiologist. Certainly IRs have all the technical skills required to do what we do, and are more comfortable with things like coiling, bead embolization (ever perf'd a small vessel and needed to coil it? ), than the vast majority of ICs. From a medical perspective, IRs have no clue about cardiac physiology, medical therapy for MI, etc, so they're not ever going to be doing coronary interventions.

The short answer to your question is that there is no other road to being an interventional cardiologist other than IM, cardiology, followed by interventional.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
- they really only work 9-5. People are so inconsiderate when they have their STEMIs.
- STEMI patients tend to be sick and quite frankly, IR people didn't really do a clinical residency. They just don't have the training to deal with ICU level patients.
Gosh.. wish that dying GI bleeder didn't come in at midnight last night for that coil embo... didn't someone tell them we only work 8 to 5.

Gosh. That stroke patient coming in dysarthric and hemiparetic at 3 am is sooo inconsiderate to us IRs. We only work 8 to 5. But we did a mechanical thrombectomy and saved him from death or a life of extreme disability.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm an interventional cardiologist - as a speciality we can't discount or trivialize the role that interventional radiologists have had in the development of cardiac catheterization. Every heard of a Judkins catheter? Judkins was a radiologist. Certainly IRs have all the technical skills required to do what we do, and are more comfortable with things like coiling, bead embolization (ever perf'd a small vessel and needed to coil it? ), than the vast majority of ICs. From a medical perspective, IRs have no clue about cardiac physiology, medical therapy for MI, etc, so they're not ever going to be doing coronary interventions.

The short answer to your question is that there is no other road to being an interventional cardiologist other than IM, cardiology, followed by interventional.
Thanks. Respect.