Interventional fellowship after a few years in practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesReitner

Reaction score
I graduated in 2017 from a very well respected Cardiology fellowship program and now looking to apply for a 1 year interventional fellowship.

I took a non invasive private practice job due to a large amount of loan debt my wife and I had accumulated right after graduation.

It was difficult to sign up for additional 1-2 years at the time of graduation due to incurring interest rates, etc.

Does anyone have experience with such applications?

I assume that even though I graduated from a top-10 program, it is very unlikely that I will be able to secure a fellowship at a top notch institution after working in PP.

Can someone chip in or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a few people who have done this. If your practice will support you through this, it will be helpful. "Top tier" places aren't always the best places to train for a procedural specialty as there are often super fellows and CT surgery fellows getting in your way. Look for the diamonds in the rough.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of people i know went back to interventional training after a couple years in private practice.

It will be a bit challenging to go from attending to a fellow.

If you still maintain good relationship with you general cardiology PD and IC PD where you trained, maybe they can help get you a spot. Some years all the fellows want to IC, and other years no on wants to do.

You will be surprised at spots that open up. People drop out for various reasons.

I agree with above poster that IC training is very variable. You can get excellent training at non brand name places.