Quantcast

interventional nephrology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a field? Are there any surgical or interventional procedures nephrologist can do? Any fellowships after doing a nephrology fellowship that may allow u to do this?

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do a search on that one. I and others talked about that a few months ago. Yes it does exist. Fellowship is only 3 months long and the primary procedures are vascular access declotting procedures.

DadofDr2B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NRAI2001 said:
Is there such a field? Are there any surgical or interventional procedures nephrologist can do? Any fellowships after doing a nephrology fellowship that may allow u to do this?

I am a chronic kidney disease patient who just had chemo for IgA nephropathy. This intervention cleared my kidneys of crescent formations and has stopped the progression of my disease. Do a search for cytonax and also for my nephrologist, James A. Tumlin.

Hawk22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NRAI2001 said:

If you really want to do "interventional nephrology", why not do urology? Its a fantastic field!

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hawk22 said:
If you really want to do "interventional nephrology", why not do urology? Its a fantastic field!

Do urologist treat all the diseases that nephrologist treat? Can they perform dialysis? Just wondering? thanks.

Atlas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NRAI2001 said:
Do urologist treat all the diseases that nephrologist treat? Can they perform dialysis? Just wondering? thanks.

This might be a nice alternative to Urology. Uro is extremely competitive and I won't hold my breath on getting a spot if I ever wanted one. At least with interventional nephrology, you combine nephrology, surgery, and diagnostic/interventional radiology into one field...pretty sweet! Do a search on it. It's a relatively new field (started in 2000) so you have a chance to be a pioneer as well. :)

allendo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Atlas said:
This might be a nice alternative to Urology. Uro is extremely competitive and I won't hold my breath on getting a spot if I ever wanted one. At least with interventional nephrology, you combine nephrology, surgery, and diagnostic/interventional radiology into one field...pretty sweet! Do a search on it. It's a relatively new field (started in 2000) so you have a chance to be a pioneer as well. :)
So can the intv Nephrologist do stent placement like a Cardiologist? I have a neighbor that had stints put in the arteries to both kidneys. This sounds like an exciting field; does anyone know how competitive it will be?

Atlas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
allendo said:
So can the intv Nephrologist do stent placement like a Cardiologist? I have a neighbor that had stints put in the arteries to both kidneys. This sounds like an exciting field; does anyone know how competitive it will be?

I would imagine they could do that. It's still a new field, so I'm not 100% sure. I can tell you this, it may get more competitive, but it will probably never reach the ranks of urology. At best, It'll make nephro more competitive ala Cards or GI. Urology is in its own league in my opinion.

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NRAI2001 said:
Why is urology so competitive?

Like the other competitive fields-- good lifestyle, really good pay, artificially low number of spots.