(interview/acceptance) ratio ranking ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
which schools are the highest ? which the lowest ?

- I think MCW has a high relatively ratio.

Members don't see this ad.

They have all this info on US news if you pay the 30 dollars

UWisc also has 50%+ acceptance rate if you receive an interview

But yeah, get to know MSAR - it'll become your best friend ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

MSAR doesn't have interview/acceptance data, only interview/matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users

Why didn't MSAR report this. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
Based upon what LizzyM and gyngyn have posted about their schools, they accept about 3x as many students as there are seats for them. At my school, it's about 2:1.

A rough rule of thumb is that if you get an II, and you're not oozing toxins, you'll get an accept. It actually takes talent to bomb an interview.

MSAR doesn't have interview/acceptance data, only interview/matriculation.

Reactions: 9 users
Based upon what LizzyM and gyngyn have posted about their schools, they accept about 3x as many students as there are seats for them. At my school, it's about 2:1.

A rough rule of thumb is that if you get an II, and you're not oozing toxins, you'll get an accept. It actually takes talent to bomb an interview.

Then who are the people who get IIs, but don't get an accept? I saw that most schools would have around a 30-50% acceptance rate with an II. Are they people who weren't competitive enough to start with and their interview didn't help them enough?

Reactions: 2 users

So, half of the people you interview are oozing toxins or withdraw?

Reactions: 5 users
Ok so lets try this for UWisc. According to MSAR they interviewed 183 OOS applicants last year and 47 of them actually matriculated. Using the 3x rule - they extended ~141 acceptances. That is a 70% acceptance rate. And the majority of the other 30% were probably wait-listed.

So basically Goro knows a thing or two about the admission process.

For the schools that I've seen the US News numbers for, most seem to fall in the 40-50% acceptances/interviews range.

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools I have interviews at range from 30-78%

How illegal would it be for someone to compile this information a la open msar...

At every one of the schools where I'm interviewing, my chances of an acceptance having landed an II are between 30-45%. I don't think 55-70% of us interviewees are oozing toxins.

Then who are the people who get IIs, but don't get an accept? I saw that most schools would have around a 30-50% acceptance rate with an II. Are they people who weren't competitive enough to start with and their interview didn't help them enough?

Curious about these points...wouldn't seem logical that half of the interviewees are oozing toxins or bombed their interview...

So when u say bomb an interview, u basically mean they weren't prepared as well as the other half of applicants who got an acceptance?

I've posted in other threads on what it takes to bomb an interview. Search out my "Goro guide to interviews" specifically. In a nutshell, bombing is displaying any number of character traits that leads us to reject immediately. My pet peeve is incessant babbling instead of giving a concise answer, or giving us the deer in the headlight look.

Outright rejections are rare; people who don't get accepts are much more likely to be wait-listed. Not all people who are wait listed are rejected, BTW.

The main cause of being wait-listed is having a borderline interview performance. It's not quite good enough for accept, but not egregious enough to get the instant ax to the neck.

Back your your question, bin Rsuhd, yes, someone who isn't well prepared will not fare well compared to someone who is. so for starters, at least have good answered for the common questions, and look in in the interview feedback section of these forums the questions that are asked at the schools you're interviewing at.

So when u say bomb an interview, u basically mean they weren't prepared as well as the other half of applicants who got an acceptance?

At my school we interview about 500 people for ~100 seats. We accept at least half of these. The others go mostly onto the wait list, maybe 1/20 to 1/40 get outright rejects.

Of the 250 we accept, around 150 decide to go elsewhere. As mentioned previously, the numbers are even higher at LizzyM's school, and gyngyns's.

The people we interview are quite competitive.

I've posted in other threads on what it takes to bomb an interview. Search out my "Goro guide to interviews" specifically. In a nutshell, bombing is displaying any number of character traits that leads us to reject immediately. My pet peeve is incessant babbling instead of giving a concise answer, or giving us the deer in the headlight look.

Outright rejections are rare; people who don't get accepts are much more likely to be wait-listed. Not all people who are wait listed are rejected, BTW.

The main cause of being wait-listed is having a borderline interview performance. It's not quite good enough for accept, but not egregious enough to get the instant ax to the neck.

Back your your question, bin Rsuhd, yes, someone who isn't well prepared will not fare well compared to someone who is. so for starters, at least have good answered for the common questions, and look in in the interview feedback section of these forums the questions that are asked at the schools you're interviewing at.

At my school we interview about 500 people for ~100 seats. We accept at least half of these. The others go mostly onto the wait list, maybe 1/20 to 1/40 get outright rejects.

Of the 250 we accept, around 150 decide to go elsewhere. As mentioned previously, the numbers are even higher at LizzyM's school, and gyngyns's.

The people we interview are quite competitive.

Alrighty. Thanks for the clarification!

A September interview is also very different from a March interview in terms of your statistical chance of getting a straight up acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user

Is this true for most DO schools? Could you please comment on Campbell and Nova and Touro-NV i.e do they accept most that they interview? I'm hoping to receive interviews at the aforementioned schools.

Is that that a Sept. interview is more likely for an acceptance because the class isn't so full? Or less likely cause they still want to see who's apps are coming in?

Is that that a Sept. interview is more likely for an acceptance because the class isn't so full? Or less likely cause they still want to see who's apps are coming in?
At best your odds improve because there are more open spots so you have to distinguish yourself less. At worst you have no advantage.

We tend to be less fussy at the beginning of the cycle.

Alas, I don't know for other DO schools. I really wish there were a COM-SAR!

Is this true for most DO schools? Could you please comment on Campbell and Nova and Touro-NV i.e do they accept most that they interview? I'm hoping to receive interviews at the aforementioned schools.

We tend to be less fussy at the beginning of the cycle.

Alas, I don't know for other DO schools. I really wish there were a COM-SAR!

There is certainly a market for one!