Interview at both a clinical and counseling program at the same institution ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask my elders on this one. I've been getting relatively lucky and have been getting a few more interviews. Still, something I knew that could have had happened, even though I didn't really expect it, is that I have an interview with both a clinical psychology phd and counseling psychology phd at the same university. Just wanted to know if I should approach this with extreme caution as to not seem indecisive in my decision making? Also, the primary mentors of interest at both programs do have some pretty large overlaps so it's not that out of the blue that I'd have applied to both programs.

The clinical program actually has an in-person interview after the counseling's virtual interview. I think my worst fear would be seeing my counseling POI during the in-person clinical interview if they had 0 prior knowledge that I was also interviewing there. Any tips no how to handle this, or is it more of a "hope to god you don't see the counseling POI during the interview process at any point?"

Members don't see this ad.

Are they in the same dept? If it’s like UT or UF it’s unlikely that they’ll ever know. If it’s like TTU and they’re in the same building and on the same floor they might.
If the professors have similar interests it likely won’t matter either way. People apply at lots of places.

Reactions: 3 users
Own it. But don't disclose it without being asked. Just do your thing. If you get asked about it, have an honest and simple prepared answer. It is what it is. I'm sure there is a valid and good reason why you applied to both.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they in the same dept? If it’s like UT or UF it’s unlikely that they’ll ever know. If it’s like TTU and they’re in the same building and on the same floor they might.
If the professors have similar interests it likely won’t matter either way. People apply at lots of places.
Different department, and yeah I think I'll just own it if asked.

The faculty interests are super similar, to the point where I imagine I may try and collaborate with both if I ended up getting an offer at either.

Different department, and yeah I think I'll just own it if asked.

The faculty interests are super similar, to the point where I imagine I may try and collaborate with both if I ended up getting an offer at either.
Faculty wouldn’t have access to applications from other depts and even if the professors are friends, faculty don’t generally talk about their folks by name to each others. So doubt it’ll come up but good on you for being aware ahead of time in case somehow it does.

A program is offering you an interview because they think you’re a strong candidate.

As such, they should expect other programs to also offer you interviews (it wouldn’t be a great sign if you’re getting shut out everywhere else).

If asked, just say something brief like ‘Yes I’m interviewing with Dr. X because their lab’s work on ____ is really interesting’ and move on.

I went to a school that had clinical, counseling and school all on the same floor. But to be honest, even within my own program, most professors only had a surface level understanding (or maybe surface level desire) of what their same-program colleagues were doing, much less getting in the weeds of the admissions offers of other department wide colleagues. Good luck!