Interview at CCOM!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC^2

CCOM Class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap: Tough/common interview questions? Thanks for any input! I have an interview at CCOM on Tuesday. I already took a look at the interview site on student doctor, but was wondering if anyone who already had an interview at CCOM has any advice? What hotels did you stay at? Positive experiences? Tough/common interview questions? Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't yet visited CCOM do not be surprised that it is not at all located in the city of Chicago.... it's in Downers Grove, a suburb 30-40minutes out of the city. I'm not sure which hotel to stay at but if you call the school I'm sure they can give you some suggestions.

As for the interview - the day moved pretty quickly for me, I think there were 9 other interviewees. Everyone was really nice and the atmosphere was super relaxed. The questions were typical, not too hard. There are 3 interviewers per applicant so it moves pretty fast bc they all ask questions; I felt a little overwhelmed. You only get 30 minutes so try to say as much as you can so they can get a complete feel on who you are. Some questions that I thought were a little difficult to answer were the following:
1) You're working at a private hospital located just down the street of a city/public hospital, but a homeless man w/o insurance walks into your ER. What do you do? What do you tell him?
2) Is there anything in your academic profile that you are not proud of? What could you have done better?

It's important to remember when answering these questions that they're not looking for a specific answer but rather how you think. They're looking for a reason to accept you not reject you! Hope this helps a little, good luck!

As far as hotels go....there are a few around. The nicest place to stay is the Marriott in Oakbrook. But it's expensive. The closest is Amerisuites in Lombard. It's less than 1/2 of a mile away and has a shuttle. I believe it will cost about $70/night. I think their are a couple other places that are cheaper, like the Red Roof Inn, but I'm not sure where they are. I stayed at Amerisuites when I interviewed.

As far as the questions go......don't worry about it. Be relaxed. The interviews are very low stress. My advice is to ust be yourself and you will do fine.

As far as not being in Chicago....well that is not quite true. Chicago is a lot like other big cities. It has a great downtown and tons of surrounding suburbs. We are one of 3 medical schools of the 7 total in Chicago that are located outside of downtown. We are 20 minutes down the 290 from downtown in a west suburb. Loyola is about 10 minutes away from here.....And Chicago Med (Finch University) is the furthest from downtown. They are at least 45 min - 1 hour northwest of downtown.

Good Luck on your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
SM-UCLA-
are you an MSI at CCOM? If so, what do you think of the school? How are classes, classmates, living accomadations, ect? Is it true that you have tests evey Tuesday or so? What do you do to relax? Thanks for the advice!

yes.....i'm an MS-I here.......

the school is great....classmates are great....I really don't have much to complain about.

Our exams vary....hours are blocked off each quarter for exams....the first quarter the blocked off times were monday and tuesdays at 730. this doesn't mean that there were exams every monday and tuesday.

the second and third quarters the blocked off days are mondays and fridays.

this quarter there are more exams than the first two quarters.....it seems that we have exams most mondays and fridays. I actually think it's a good thing because it keeps you focused and everything isn't riding on just one exam.

what do we do to relax?......tons! we go out a lot, play intramural, pool, darts, workout, hang out and watch a movie and drink....etc....you name it.....you will find time to do just about anything you want wherever you go.