Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview at RFU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by eikenhein, Apr 12, 2007.

1. eikenhein

eikenhein my cat is awesome, his name is bandit
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I have an interview scheduled with Rosalind Franklin University, and I'm planning to fly in through O'Hare International Airport. For those of you who have done the same, I need your advice.

Any recommendations on hotels or inns near the medical school? How difficult is it to get a taxi in North Chicago?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spospo

spospo Going to extremes

Medical Student
    i forget where i stayed, so i am not much help on that front. the taxi from the airport to north chicago was expensive, so be ready for that. once there, my hotel had the # of some cabs, so i used those. the guy who took me from the hotel to RFU even asked if i wanted to be picked up. it worked out fine, i just hate how expensive taxis are.

4. mave

mave Chill out, man.

Fellow [Any Field]
    We stayed at the Quality Inn in Waukegan. It's on the same road as RFU, so it's relatively easy to get from place to place.

Also, you might look into those airport vans instead of a taxi, and then use a taxi for transit between RFU and the hotel. Sometimes it can be cheaper (look for conference discount codes online!). I usually use SuperShuttle when I travel, but they don't run in Chicago, so look on the airport's webpage to see what kinds of ground transportation they offer. RFU is really, seriously far north (almost Wisconsin), so expect a HUGE taxi charge. It might even be cheaper to rent a car, even if you're not 25.

5. twick121

Resident [Any Field]
    the taxi from the airport to your hotel is real expensive. But i stayed at the ramada inn and they set up their own hotel shuttle to take me (and another person who was interviewing) to RFU that morning free of cost. that saved me the trouble and money of finding a cab the morning of

6. eikenhein

eikenhein my cat is awesome, his name is bandit
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Are there local taxis in North Chicago? After my interview, I don't want to wait 2 hours for a taxi to come from downtown and pick me up to the airport.

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    Um, a taxi from O'Hare to RFU is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

8. cal_girl

cal_girl Member

Medical Student
    Train and public transportation is really cheap in Chicago area. Get on the blue line, go the nearest place it can drop off. Then get on taxi, it will save u a lot.

9. Vano

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, there are taxis in North Chicago and as all people stated above, they would be quite expensive because it's about a 30+ mile drive from North Chicago to O'Hare, I live about halfway between RFU and O'Hare, you give me few bucks for gas and toll and I'll drop you off after the interview if I'm not busy at that time:D Or CTA(public transportation taking blue line) would be an option a fare is only 2$ one way

10. rich4k

rich4k Member

Pre-Medical
    I stayed at the Ramada Inn in Waukegan. If you call them, they'll give you the number of a taxi service. about $50 from o'hare to the hotel.

11. NammyBoy

Pre-Medical
    I rented a PT Cruiser from Enterprise for $70.59 after taxes, fees (including the under-25 fee). This did not include gas, which cost another $8 or so (you should fill up at the Mobil near the Enterprise station, since they charge much higher per gallon to fill-up).

I would rent a car because it is about the same as calling a taxi, but you don't have to be at the mercy of the taxi to get around places. For example, you may want to leave your hotel to the local Walgreens or WhiteCastle, or you may want to check out the neighboring region or Chicago in your spare time. Also, there was a fellow interviewee who waited in front of the med school for over one hour waiting for her taxi, and she would have missed her flight, had I not given her a ride to the airport.

Caution: 294N automatically turns into 94East. I also recommend resetting the trip meter when you leave the rental station, so you don't go for hours having passed an inconspicuous little sign that says "Buckley Rd." Also, they have toll roads, about $.80, so bring change, especially on your way back. Further, get specific directions to the rental station. Chicago roads are not as clearly marked as they are in Los Angeles, and can get complicated near the airport.

I stayed at the Ramada Inn Waukegan. Your room will be quiet, comfortable, clean and have free WiFi, in case you bring your laptop. They give you a voucher for a free continental breakfast the next morning (but I didn't use because I overslept). If you call to reserve a room, mention you are coming in for an interview, and they will charge you a lower rate of $70.75.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Ramada Inn Waukegan
    http://www.ramadainnwaukegan.com/
    847-244-2400

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do
    (847) 928-3320