Interview Attire: Blouses

Started by Bows
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bows

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to wear a solid-colored blouse that is polyester with a chiffon overlay and straps that tie and hang. It looks very nice with my suit and the part that ties puffs out a bit so it gives it some pop.

My question is, does the blouse have to have a collar? Is it unprofessional to not have a collar and button down?

It's similar to this top: http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/7/optimized/1272117_fpx.tif?$filterlrg$&wid=370

Thanks!
 
It actually looks more like this: And it'll be under my suit jacket the whole time. I don't plan on taking it off.

Also, if anyone is from the north... Could you please give me an example of what outerwear you wear over a suit? I'm from the south so I'm not used to the cold, let alone the cold and a suit! Thanks!
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that blouse would work well under a blazer for an interview. I don't think you need to wear a menswear-style button-up to look professional.
 
Blouses, in my opinion, are unprofessional. The whole point of the interview is to look professional. Wearing a suit jacket over a blouse is a different story though.
 
This blouse is fine under a suit jacket. In terms of outerwear, a cape or a three quarter length or longer wool car coat is fine. No puffer coats, they are too casual.
 
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to wear it. 🙂
To those who stated I should wear it under a jacket--I did indicate that I would be wearing it with a suit.