interview attire (for ladies)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

debyeh77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey ladies,
i decided to get a black skirt suit for my interview. skirt (not pants) because i'm very short, and i know that pants don't look good on me, black because it was the only color offered in the petite section that did not make me look super old.

what color blouse should i wear on the inside? i'm trying my hardest to avoid the white-black look, because it reminds me of middle-school orchestra concert attire haha. i think i look best in a black cowl-neck blouse. would all black be absolutely terrible?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a soft colored blouse will do it.
I bought a black pants suit yesterday. I was also hesitant about looking too old in a black skirt suit. So i got a peach colored girly blouse that will soften the look. I also do not think that black, navy, or even a gray suit (either skirt or pants) will be too bad since some people (interviewers) are very conservative. I think it is your best to stay simple and clean. And of course something that fits and looks good on you.

Good luck on your interviews!,!

I bought a black pants suit yesterday. I was also hesitant about looking too old in a black skirt suit. So i got a peach colored girly blouse that will soften the look. I also do not think that black, navy, or even a gray suit (either skirt or pants) will be too bad since some people (interviewers) are very conservative. I think it is your best to stay simple and clean. And of course something that fits and looks good on you.

I agree! I think I'm going to wear a grey pant suit with a white button up. Do you think grey is okay, rather than the traditional black?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, if its a light gray suit, a black top would be better.... But if its a dark gray suit, white or other soft colors would be okay too :)

thanks so much for the advice!! i'm gonna go with a peach/cream-colored top too :)

Blue blouse.. blue is a powerful color. :)

hey ladies,
i decided to get a black skirt suit for my interview. skirt (not pants) because i'm very short, and i know that pants don't look good on me, black because it was the only color offered in the petite section that did not make me look super old.

what color blouse should i wear on the inside? i'm trying my hardest to avoid the white-black look, because it reminds me of middle-school orchestra concert attire haha. i think i look best in a black cowl-neck blouse. would all black be absolutely terrible?
I don't think all black would look terribly horrendous.. even if you got a white/black combination wouldn't look too bad either. [: Usually it's not about the color, but the shades, the cuts of the attire, and how everything compliments each other. ;)

Too bad we couldn't take pictures to show examples to each other. I'm from Hawaii so attire here is a little more "laid back" and "relaxed." (I mean, men DO wear aloha shirts to work interviews.. HAHA... dress shirt aloha shirts but aloha shirts never the less) ...I really don't know want to look too "fuddy-duddy" or "old" but at the same time, don't want to be overly conservative. Then again, I don't want to look too relaxed, laid-back, or casual as well. :T

Hi everyone! I wore a navy colored skirt suit from banana republic to my interview with a beige top underneath. I was the only one without a black suit but I still felt confident because I knew that my dark colored suit still emphasized that I was professional without blending in too much. In the end though, it all comes down to how your personality shines! Don't worry too much about what you wear, just bring yourself.

Hi everyone! I wore a navy colored skirt suit from banana republic to my interview with a beige top underneath. I was the only one without a black suit but I still felt confident because I knew that my dark colored suit still emphasized that I was professional without blending in too much. In the end though, it all comes down to how your personality shines! Don't worry too much about what you wear, just bring yourself.

For some reason I'm hesitant to wear a skirt...Do many ladies wear them to interviews???

For some reason I'm hesitant to wear a skirt...Do many ladies wear them to interviews???

I'm only wearing a skirt because i'm 5'0 which is shorter than most petite sized pants, so even if I got pants in petite, they would be too long for me. hahaha

It really doesnt matter if you wear a skirt or pants, its your preference. I chose a pant suit bc i look better in them and i dont wanna look too old in a skirt. :laugh:

I think any dark suit will do. I went for a dark navy pantsuit with small pinstripes and a pink top to soften the look as well. I am kind of wishing I got the skirt but then heels are kind of a must and then you have to deal with hosiery..which makes you slip around in your shoes. Pants to me are the no fuss option, but they really do little for you. If I dont get into dental school I want to design womens clothing lol.. Suits that look good, and bottoms that don't ride up when you work out!

I have an off-black pinstriped Alfani suit-skirt combination to go with my striped blue Ralph Lauren button down shirt. I know it seems very corporate like and masculine, but I love how I look and feel in it.

In one of my interviews it was about half pants, half skirts. Just make sure you wear some hose because bare legs is a bit unprofessional.

So a dress is inappropriate? What is the difference between a skirt/blazer and a dress/blazer?

So a dress is inappropriate? What is the difference between a skirt/blazer and a dress/blazer?

I don't think a dress would be inappropriate. I had a hard time deciding between a dress and skirt suit but I opted with the skirt instead.