Interview attire for men.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jz123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I have been hearing that black suits are not very good for interviews. Could someone please tell me what type of suits and color should i get? Also, what color of shirt should I wear? Is it possible that someone can post a picture here or a link? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a few fitted navy suits and always thought they looked great.

Brown shoes
White shirt with light pink tie
Light pink shirt with pastel yellow tie

Many different combinations

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 93
Grab a wool navy suit, white shirt, blue solid textured tie, brown shoes, and brown belt. Also, see a tailor and get the sleeves/pants shortened and the jacket taken in around the waist (~$70). What's your budget?
i am thinking about spending $200-300 on the entire suits. Just curious, it is good that I wear black shoes? Or brown is better?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a few fitted navy suits and always thought they looked great.

Brown shoes
White shirt with light pink tie
Light pink shirt with pastel yellow tie

Many different combinations
What color would be good beside pink?

Black shoes are completely fine, but I wouldn't suggest wearing them with a navy suit.

What color would be good beside pink?
I've seen whit shirt with pastel yellow tie or white shirt with a textured darker blue tie.

Definitely go with the brown shoes and brown belt combo if you opt for the blue suit.

Charcoal and navy are the two popular colors. Pure black is a little too formal for interviews.

Honestly, don't think they'll really care. They're just happy you dressed up for the occasion.

However, the above are correct in that, in a technical sense, black is too formal. Navy blue is the color to be according to Esquire. I recommend their Handbook of Style for all concerns. It's rather cheap too.

I like my black shoes with my navy suit. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 1 user