Interview Attire..(Shower Optional :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To lighten things up around here, what kind of suits are you all wearing, both men and women, on the trail this year? And how the hell are you transporting them so that you don't have a piece of tin foil when you arrive at your destination. I had always been told that you need a navy blue suit, so what do I do, I go buy two suits without buying even one navy blue suit. I did not own a real suit because I had interviewed for medical school in my military dress uniform. I just hate dark navy blue suits because I feel like I am going to a funeral. So I bought one charcoal gray suit that is rather traditional. And then I bought this brown/gray colored suit (I am not really sure what color it is to be honest, which created a big problem when trying to buy shoes). This suit has pin stripes though that are not completely evident unless you are close up. The two together cost more money that I wish to discuss, but at least they will last me a few decades right? Sure, like the plad leisure suit my grandfather still owns...I bet he thinks it is still appropriate to wear!

Now as for how to carry around these suits, I have come up with a solution like no other. Take notes, because this works like a charm. I bought a bag called a "Skyroll" whereas the inside is a tube about 10" in diameter, and about 20" long. It has a garment bag that wraps around it to keep the suit from being folded over where you might have a bad crease. But honestly, I think maybe even a regular foldover would work (anyone know?). The thing that has revolutionized my travel wrinkles is my portable travel steamer/iron that I got from Brookstone for about 40 bucks. It ejects some top knotch steam and literally melts away all wrinkles in about 2 seconds of exposure. It works way better than the old shower steamer. And lastly, if you screw up and get someplace and realize you left your socks at home, don't just panic and show up with hairy exposed legs. Always ask the hotel front desk where the nearest 24 hour Wal-Mart is. That saved my a$$ the first interview and may save you if the need arises. They even have ties. Now lets say you forget your entire suit and it is a Sunday and too late to find a mall. I was in the airport in Houston the other day and they actually had a store with suits and basic business attire. So check out the airport retailers, because what they have will surprise you.

Anyone with some incredibly good tips? FYI, If you are from the south and you are headed north for interviews like I am, be sure to have a top coat to wear with your suit. I realized that my old trusty Gortex cammie jacket would not go real well with my suit when I visit places like Mayo, Indy, and Chicago!! Burlington Coat Factory has them for a hundred bucks in black and camel!!

Members don't see this ad.

On one trip for a medical school interview, I forgot my tie. I told my story to the guy at the front desk, and asked where a nearby store could be. He told me to wait there, then returned with a box full of ties. Apparently forgetting to pack a tie is just as common as leaving one in the hotel room. I wore a very sharp Brooks Brothers tie that day... It had an odd white spot on the back, but I decided not to ask questions and wash my hands after putting it on. Why did I tell everyone that last part?

I don't think that the color of your suit matters much, unless it's pink or something wierd like that. I just got a sweet looking gray suit for $75 on clearance, and you better believe I'm wearing that bad boy. If a program looks down upon me for not wearing black/navy, then I wouldn't want to go there anyway.

My $.02

Members don't see this ad :)
Believe it or not Target stores now sell suits. I got a sport coat there, it is nice (it would be casual for an interview, but they had more formal suits). It is a cheap way to go if you need...

- H

Are we exptected to wear a suit on these interviews?

I was at an interview earlier this season and one of the applicants was not wearing a suit...just a shirt and tie! I was shocked. The pd asked him several times if he was cold when we had to make a short walk from one building to another.

rossguy31 said:
Are we exptected to wear a suit on these interviews?

I was at an interview earlier this season and one of the applicants was not wearing a suit...just a shirt and tie! I was shocked. The pd asked him several times if he was cold when we had to make a short walk from one building to another.

Last year we had an applicant who wore a collared shirt only. No sweater, tie, suit or anything else but his pants, socks, and shoes. He had a pretty thick beard, too, so he stood out.

Dont check your suit. Carry it.

BTW, I have the suits I need but a good place for some nice threads if you know your size is overstock.com. Look in their suit section and you will often find $8-900 suits for like 150. Lots of colors etc. Truthfully, I only want to look good cause in some weird way it instills some confidence. When I played football we had a saying, it was "if you look good, you will play good". Forget the proper grammar but there is a certain confidence in that. Quick side note for football fans. I played High School ball with Chad Johnson, Samari Rolle, Terry Cousin (my weightlifting partner for 1 summer), and Duane Starks. Thats just a little something extra!

I think if you are wearing something you are uncomfortable with that will be apparent in your demeanor. Maybe it is just me. :)

EctopicFetus said:
BTW, I have the suits I need but a good place for some nice threads if you know your size is overstock.com. Look in their suit section and you will often find $8-900 suits for like 150. Lots of colors etc. Truthfully, I only want to look good cause in some weird way it instills some confidence. When I played football we had a saying, it was "if you look good, you will play good". Forget the proper grammar but there is a certain confidence in that. Quick side note for football fans. I played High School ball with Chad Johnson, Samari Rolle, Terry Cousin (my weightlifting partner for 1 summer), and Duane Starks. Thats just a little something extra!

I think if you are wearing something you are uncomfortable with that will be apparent in your demeanor. Maybe it is just me. :)

I couldn't agree more. When I was a kid, I always wanted my baseball and football uniforms to look more like the pros. I had my mom sew in beltloops to my baseball pants so I could wear a belt, and then I always stretched my leggings to that they were really high like my heros in the majors! Same held true for football......I would take my helmet and beat the crap out of it on the pavement so that the kid across from me thought I was some nut job who loved to hit people. I always counted the number of new colored marks I had on my helmet after a game correlating to the jersey colors of the guys we were playing. And in the military, I always made it a point to have crisp creases and shined boots. Image is very important in this world and it can make or break you in some situations. I think not having a suit for an interview is like not having a weapon at the range. You may as well not be there. Of course I am the same person bit*h*ng about the tradition of sending thank you letters to every interview, so my credibility is not all that worth mentioning about now related to traditions!! :laugh:

Fold your shirts in the little plastic sheet that comes from the dry-cleaners. It will < your wrinkles, if you have extras put one over your suit as well.

Also, carry a roll of paper tape/band-aids. Dress shoes look nice, but they give me some pretty nasty heel blisters, so I do a preemptive strike and tape my heels before I put on my socks. Nothing sucks more than bloody heels while walking around a hospital.

I agree with the poster who suggested you carry on your suit. To make that easier, I purchased a "tri-fold" garment bag at Target. It is much easier to lug around than a traditional "bi-fold"? garment bag.

stw2361 said:
I agree with the poster who suggested you carry on your suit. To make that easier, I purchased a "tri-fold" garment bag at Target. It is much easier to lug around than a traditional "bi-fold"? garment bag.

Trifold heh...never heard of it. You having to do much to get the wrinkles out with it, and does it have extra pockets for shoes and such? Hey STW, PM me if you are the guy I met last week.

I have to agree with the "shower optional" part of the title to this thread. I had an interview yesterday - my phone alarm didn't go off, and my host's alarm was accidentally set for pm. I woke up at 6:45 for a 7am interview 20 minutes away. Needless to say, a shower didn't happen (although a little deodorant and toothpaste did). I had no complaints about my smell, and my hair sort of made its own gel. It was certainly an exciting way to start off the interview trail.