interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

needpharmd

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those that interviewed already - what kind of attire did most have? do most people have suits?
 
Today was the first day of interviews at my school.

All the men I did see were wearing dark suits, white shirts and a variety of ties. There may have been a few without jackets, but I didn't see them. I know a few did go without jackets at my interview a few years ago.

Get yourself a suit! Every man should have at least one good conservative suit in his wardrobe. You may need it during the school year...we've had a few functions that required business professional attire, and one black tie optional gala.
 
Echo on the suit. Treat this school interview as a career interview. Dressing up for the occasion impresses more than you think. Always err on the side of overdressed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read a couple times on this forum that you shouldn't wear a black suit, why? I think black looks sharp. If I can't wear my black suit I guess I'll wear my plaid one!
 
Navy and gray are pretty much the two standard colors recommended for job interviews by all those job search experts, and I assume school interviews apply to that recommendation. Black maybe sharp...for a funeral or a formal function 😉
 
You guys have commented on what men should wear to their interviews, but how about women? Should we need to wear suit-like attire as well, or would like a knee-length skirt and nice blouse be fine? I just can't imagine myself in a women's suit never worn one lol)...
 
This was very helpful for me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93144

I ended up wearing a brown skirt suit with a pinstriped white/pink/peach/brown collared shirt under the jacket, brown pumps (2" heel), and nude hose.

I think the most important thing is that you wear something you are comfortable in, something you are confident in. And, I think it's always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
70.gif